THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've had both BGE and an Akorn. I actually liked my Akorn better than my BGE. Then, I built a UDS and there was no comparison to ability to hold temp, capacity, and overall food product. I sold my Akorn shortly after building my UDS.

I built a UDS long ago and find it is considerably more difficult to hold temps. I don't think my air control system is very good... I just have 4 holes with pipe for three of them than I can cap and one has a ball valve on it. I just could never control it easily and it was such a hassle to use and clean, I went to a vertical gasser.. made some great cue on that thing, but wanted to return to charcoal. I was hoping the Akorn was the answer.

B

I like others prefer my UDS to my Acorn for 90% of what I cook. And like mentioned, close the inlet vent before opening ( I do the same on all my smokers). If your grilling, then I don't worry about it much. I made my own inlet vent for the Acorn so I could easily control temps and have the top vent open to 1 1/2 to 2 and still maintain 225 to 250 degrees. I don't use a water pan but more of a pan on top of my pizza diffuser to catch the drippins. I haven't found a need to wrap till the meat is ready for the cooler to sit. I use mostly briquettes but still buy lump and mix it. I have not found a bag /brand of lump that I like as of yet and that is a lot of years buying it. From the brick size pieces to 1/3 bag of dust and crumbs. Having the top vent open more promotes better air flow like mentioned above. My mods are on Jim's site. A lot of folks just prefer to run with what they have/how the unit arrived and work with it, I prefer to make everything work better/easier for me. If I wasn't able to control my Acorn better I would have sold it right away as it was a huge PIA till I modified it.

I've had both BGE and an Akorn. I actually liked my Akorn better than my BGE. Then, I built a UDS and there was no comparison to ability to hold temp, capacity, and overall food product. I sold my Akorn shortly after building my UDS.

You should have sold your BGE since you liked your Akorn better than your BGE.

ebijack, can you give me a link to your air intake mod for the Akorn? Thanks for the advice. I have it holding at 275 which is a little high, but I'm getting good flow through it and plan to eat it at dinner time today. Internal on the small one is at 165 and I put them on 3.25 hours ago. Should be done in about 8 I would think... maybe too fast.

Thanks for all the help here!

B

I tried a couple different intake vent opening designs, this one that is like a wine bottle allows me to get any temp I want all the way to 700+ degrees. I removed the long screw at the back of the original slider vent and use a 4mm? bolt so I can remove/install the vent opening and or slider while I was finding the best design for me. Cheap aluminum flashing, cuts with scissors, tin snips, utility knife easily. A couple of guys made a vent like mine and reused the original slider cover, I prefer to visually see the opening which you can not do with the original. If you make a new slider cover, make it longer than you think or it won't close the opening fully.
top vent
e9ia.jpg

bottom vent WAY open
sjf8.jpg

this gets me to 250-275 depending
r35a.jpg

Very nice design! The ability to restrict the air intake to that small window is smart.

Eric

Back