THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigDog43

Knows what a fatty is.
I plan on doing a prime rib tonight and wanting to get some feedback on timing. I'm doing a reverse sear where I'll cook it at 200-250 until it gets to around 123 internal temp or so. Rest and sear on the back end of the cook.

How long can I expect a 8lb standing rib roast (bone in) to take to reach that temp on my LBGE.

I plan on doing a prime rib tonight and wanting to get some feedback on timing. I'm doing a reverse sear where I'll cook it at 200-250 until it gets to around 123 internal temp or so. Rest and sear on the back end of the cook.

How long can I expect a 8lb standing rib roast (bone in) to take to reach that temp on my LBGE.

I would say cooking at 225 depending on your conditions, around the 4 hour mark. But in my experience every piece of meat cooks different. "It's done when it's done"

4 hours more or less. I would start 5 hours before serving time. Once it hits 120 pull and rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour. High heat to finish and serve.

So I remember this happening to me last time. It cooks way faster than 4 hours. It's been on for one hour at 250-260 and it's already at 95. I don't really understand what I could be doing differently.

I reinserted the probe in another part of the roast. Looks like it may have been just a hot spot...or my probe is having problems.

I did same same, brother. Fat conducts temperature much better than lean meat.

Back