Prime Rib Rub Suggestions

I think this is what I’m going to end up using. It’s influenced by several recommendations.

Rosemary
Kosher Salt
Black pepper
Oregano
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Thyme

I’m going to start out smoking it at 250 on the Kamado joe with applewood. Light on the smoke. Then move it inside to the oven to finish at 250. It’s brutally cold here! I’ll post some pics! Any more recommendations?

I’m going to start out smoking it at 250 on the Kamado joe with applewood. Light on the smoke. Then move it inside to the oven to finish at 250. It’s brutally cold here! I’ll post some pics! Any more recommendations?

Why bring it inside? Once you've got the temp dialed in on the Joe, it'll cruise along for hours without budging, no matter what the temp is outside.

Why bring it inside? Once you've got the temp dialed in on the Joe, it'll cruise along for hours without budging, no matter what the temp is outside.

Agree.

You already have the temp set. Just let it cruise to finish on the Joe.

Yeah well... my Kamado joe needs an adjustment every 15 minutes or so. Never just cruises! Wish that was the case!

Sounds like you might have an air leak somewhere. Most likely at the lid. Take a sheet of paper and put it in different areas, close the lid and see if you can pull the paper out.

My Joe is new and has the new steel mesh gasket. Tight as a ducks ass! The temperature fluctuations have to do with how the lump burns. Which path it takes. It’s hard to control temps when the door is only open 1/8 inch and the temp is running high. It can cruise for an hour at a steady 225 then for no reason start climbing into the 300’s when door is 1/8 inch open.

That's strange. Mine will stay rock steady for hours on end. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Another vote for mrs olearys cow crust.
Especially after the sear.

This weekend I'll be using a mix of Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow and Killer Hogs Steak Rub with some additional black pepper mixed in.

^^^ Yep, what Bacchus said. If you cook hot n fast you'll get grey edges. 225-235 perfectly pink all the way through. I've used Meathead's Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust the last few years with great results.

How much water do you use with this rub of spices to make the paste? Then do you just try to pun it on evenly with a mop?

Last edited:
How much water do you use with this rub of spices to make the paste? Then do you just try to pun it on evenly with a mop?

"When it is time to use the rub, you can use it straight, or mix 1 part of the dry rub with 1 part water to make a paste. (Note: This recipe used to be made by mixing with oil, but we discovered that the herbs dissolve much better in water)."

Looks like Meathead changed the recipe. I still use Olive Oil.

S&P, Q-Salt, SPOGOS your choice. Then a generous amount of powder Au-Jus.

Thank me later! :wink:

We also like slivers of fresh garlic pushed into slits all over the roast.

Lots of good ways to skin this cat - This is what we like.

Back