THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BrewPug

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Took my first shot at a rib roast for Sunday dinner. Kroger had it on sale for $5.99/lb. It started out at 6.5 pounds but ended up closer to 4 after trimming. Put it on a grill-mounted rotisserie at 225 and let the magic happen.

My wife hasn't eaten prime rib in 20 years (she's a recovering vegetarian), so no pressure or anything... She loved it. :thumb:

Thanks to the many threads on here with advice on how to cook it. Looking forward to a nice French dip for dinner tonight!

IMG_2416.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

----------------------------------
Chuck

Ya that's a good cook. Tell us what you used for smoke and any rub on there? Will be doing one this summer for sure.

I used a little bit of red oak to put a light smoke on it.

I have a family member who can't eat onion or garlic (basically any "bulb" vegetable) and that includes the powdered or dehydrated versions. That requirement basically eliminates any commercially available product from anything I cook. I dare you to go to the grocery store and find a rub, marinade or sauce that doesn't contain onion, garlic or both. If you know of any, please tell me...

As a result, I always have to make my own rubs, whether for beef, chicken, pork or whatever. With that in mind, I salted the roast the day before the cook. Not heavy. I used Meatheads recommendation of 1/2 Tsp per pound. I put it back in the fridge and, the next day, I rubbed it with black pepper, a little paprika, thyme and rosemary. Pretty standard stuff (but I miss my garlic and onion). To give the crust a little more kick, I added some homemade ras el hanout -- just a very light amount, but it gives it a hint of moroccan flavor. Just something different. Works pretty well as long as you don't overdo it.

I used a little bit of red oak to put a light smoke on it.

I have a family member who can't eat onion or garlic (basically any "bulb" vegetable) and that includes the powdered or dehydrated versions. That requirement basically eliminates any commercially available product from anything I cook. I dare you to go to the grocery store and find a rub, marinade or sauce that doesn't contain onion, garlic or both. If you know of any, please tell me...

As a result, I always have to make my own rubs, whether for beef, chicken, pork or whatever. With that in mind, I salted the roast the day before the cook. Not heavy. I used Meatheads recommendation of 1/2 Tsp per pound. I put it back in the fridge and, the next day, I rubbed it with black pepper, a little paprika, thyme and rosemary. Pretty standard stuff (but I miss my garlic and onion). To give the crust a little more kick, I added some homemade ras el hanout -- just a very light amount, but it gives it a hint of moroccan flavor. Just something different. Works pretty well as long as you don't overdo it.

Sounds like great beef rub to me! How are they with chipotle? I like that little bit of Southwestern kick.

Back