THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Does the 3x pat rule still apply? I sell bars and ice cream made by someone else but don't charge 3x my cost. Should I be charging more?

Thanks in advanced.

I think so. Say you bought a case of ice cream cones and your price break down was 50 cents per cone. You have the risk of not selling them all and you have to make money. $1.50 for a cone at cost x 3 is what I would sell it for.

Even if you aren't spending time making the product from scratch, you still need enough margin to cover all your indirect costs. I think 3x is still a good starting point, but you should look at the individual product. Is it priced competitively with your competition? Is it an item that could work as a loss leader?

There are certainly some products or situations that could warrant a lower or higher price depending on local market conditions, if it's a product that you want to price aggressively just to get people in the door, etc.

Most restaurants do not make beer, wine or soda, yet sell at significant mark-ups. The same with candy, chips and other items. I think 3x markup is a reasonable thing. And, as was previously stated, you still have risk in that you may not sell the item before it becomes unsaleable. And ice cream cones is a great example, you definitely have waste everytime you open a bag, unless you sell out. There is nothing worse than a stale cone.

Back