THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

twinsfan

is one Smokin' Farker
Dumping some pr0n from the last two nights. Yesterday was angel hair with a roasted tomato sauce and tonight a leftover pork gumbo. I give ingredients and process under each one. I've got more to dig up and I'll keep putting it up here. :-D

One large onion and two large cloves of garlic sauteed up in the soup pot in vegetable oil. Just to brown.

I had twelve beefsteak tomatoes and a few Romas. Unfortunately the good Romas went into another thing, so I was stuck with thick beefsteaks and old Romas. All homegrown. I had roasted a few a couple days ago, cut them up, removed (most) of the seeds. Then I took some of the fresh, uncooked ones, and did the same.

Tons of oregano, some black pepper, and some of my serrano hot sauce (my only secret recipe made by me, a serrano version of Texas Pete).. some red pepper flakes and a dash of my favorite seasoning (Old Bay) Some basil also. A little of each, not spicy at all thanks to the minuscule
amount.

Cooked for four hours. Thin spaghetti started, cooked, and then throw in the liquidy but flavorful sauce. Rests ten minutes. Sauteed up three decased mild Italian sausage links and add them in at the last moment.

The next night I had a pound of leftover stuffed tenderloin from the Hurricane Cookout
and three of the sausage links left. After sitting at a horse store for thee hours (tedious :mad2:) I came up with the idea of a gumbo. I don't know what it's called; a stew, a gumbo, jambalaya, a beanless chili?

One very large onion, two large green bell peppers (homegrown), and three stalks of celery sauteed with the decased sausage in little bits. Cooked in 1 1/2 cups of water with some Old Bay in it and a little canola oil. Once the sausage looked pretty good, I added eight fresh homegrown Roma tomatoes (picked today), deseeded and roughly chopped into 2 1/2 cups. Mixed them in. Then I cubed, rough diced the tenderloin up, and I added. Thyme sprigs, Old Bay, serrano hot sauce, and ground sage. Cooked for 1 1/2 hours while I went on my five mile run.

Back, I added 1 1/2 cups of long grain white rice, which seeped up all the liquid.

(See that powder on top? Guess what it is! OLD BAY! :-D)

Hope you enjoy. I'd give the sauce a 7.5-8 in my cooking scale and the gumbo a 9. On other scales, probably more near a 6 or 7. I had to upload since the sauce had roasted tomatoes and the gumbo had the richly smoked tenderloin. These were probably my best back-to-back cooks EVER.

bbq-ribs-1.jpg

What else you going to put in gumbo??? Shesh! :crazy: :-D

I use it as a Cajun spice. If there's two totally different elements of my cooking, it's spicy Cajun (not Southwestern) and tangy citrusy South Eastern Asian cooking. One or the other in every recipe, however I'm limited with spiciness with who eats it.

picture.php

I love Old Bay too. In fact, make your favorite New England clam chowder and add some Old Bay to it. Awesome!

If people here could handle more then a mg of it, I'd use it so much more. It's in every BBQ rub I've ever made. Thanks!

Back