THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smokesignalsfromtx

is one Smokin' Farker
How many of you have the Duracell 600 power supply. I'm wanting to pick one up for comps to run my guru, and six led spotlights I have for my pop ups. The last comp I was at, my neighbor had a deep cell battery and a 400w inverter that ran my stuff for about 4 hrs with no problem along with a small stereo, 100w amp and speakers (PA system). His would have gone longer, but I was starting my cook and went to the generator to prevent power failure.

If you do have them, what's the most you've run on them and how long will it last?

http://www.duracellpower.com/backup-power/power-packs/powerpack-600.aspx

There are two specs to consider...

The continuous power rating of the inverter built into the Duracel pack and the capacity of the battery.

The continuous power rating is 480W, so the max that you can draw from the 110V outlets on the pack is 480W.

The capacity of the battery is 26Ah (Amp Hours). That mean that theoretically you can draw 26A for one hour or 1A for 26 hours. In real life it doesn't work that way because the battery voltage will slowly drop as it is discharged and you will hit a point where the inverter can no longer supply 115V to your devices. Duracell doesn't provide a spec on that, unfortunately.

Now you have to find out how much power your devices need and that will tell you how long the battery will last. I found some specs in an old thread that says that a 10cfm guru fan draws .67A at 12V full on, so by itself that pack will run the guru fan for a long time (best case 26Ah/.67A = 38 hours, plus, the fan isn't 100% on all of the time). I didn't see any specs for the Guru controller, but I suspect it is fairly low. The LED lights should be low as well, but verify that.

The kicker is the stereo. You need to check it's power consumption rating. If you assume that it draws 100W, that is about .85A at 115V. The battery is providing 12V to the inverter, so the current draw on the battery will be 8.3A at 12V, so you can see that this would drain the batter much faster.

I have this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP2260-Instant-Portable-Source/dp/B004EIAADG"]Amazon.com: Schumacher XP2260 1200 Peak Amp Instant Portable Power Source: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-TdcM1rTL.@@AMEPARAM@@51-TdcM1rTL[/ame] bought at walmart for $100. Have run CyberQII, charged phone, ipad, ran small lights and no issues. Still had plenty of juice left. Bad thing is the recharge time which they call for 36 hours.

I have a Duracell 600 that I plug in my Stoker System before I go to sleep. That is usually around 10 pm. It will run the rest of the time up through the chicken turn-in at 12 noon the next day. I do try to return to regular power earlier just to get a head start on packing up.

I have this one Amazon.com: Schumacher XP2260 1200 Peak Amp Instant Portable Power Source: Automotive bought at walmart for $100. Have run CyberQII, charged phone, ipad, ran small lights and no issues. Still had plenty of juice left. Bad thing is the recharge time which they call for 36 hours.

I have the same one - great unit - The inverter will even power my CPAP. The way to extend the battery packs is try not to use the inverter. Your Gurus can run directly off 12 V.

I have the same Schumacher..... been great for a backup now going on 2 seasons. I will mention the CPAP to my teammate who uses one. as mentioned its more efficient NOT going through the inverter but ran our laptop/stoker setup and our radio in 2 contests now

This will run the pellet Jambo for 4.5 hours. It's a great little box for emergencies. If you plug it in and run stuff on it, it doesn't stay charged after 4.5 hours it was dead. Don't ask me how I know this...

Use the same one. Runs my 10cfm DigiQ, lights, radio,etc...no charging needed...has been good to me for about 3 years now with no issues.

Having woken up Sunday morning at Ridgefield two weeks ago to find no power, pit at 175 and meats at 150--just ordered the Shumacher unit--seems a relatively inexpensive investment to avoid that again. Thanks for the comments

Back