THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A guy I used to fly fish with that lives in Albuquerque used to drive every year to Woodville TX and load a trailer with red oak for his vertical smoker. Haven’t spoken with him in a while but last I heard he was Pellet Smoking

Actually I seldom cook with Red Oak, that is my preferred fire place fuel. I usually cook with Post Oak, Hickory, or Pecan. Most cooks are a mix of those woods with Post Oak being the majority of what make my fire.

I smoke everything using beech, which is the most common and most easily accessible wood around here, and it tastes great. As long as it's seasoned and you're burning a clean fire, I doubt it'd make a lot of difference on taste; it does make a difference on the coal bed though—beech leaves next to none, and managing the fire is much more of a hassle but can be done nonetheless.

I cook with whatever local wood that's available, usually its some variety of oak, choke cherry, and dropped branches from a hickory in my yard..it all works and I can't tell what wood it is by the final product. It's wood, it makes smoke, and makes things taste good...Unless you have the palate of a professional wine taster, Most people won't be able to tell what wood you used. OK, maybe mesquite, but other then that.....

I don’t think so. Many in central Texas were using post oak and cooking hot and fast before AF. just look at who he learned from. The forums might make it seem that way.

I was referring to the rest of the world outside of Texas. Texans use what's local and easy to get.

And post oak or live oak...I'm good with either.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Back