Posole Rojo Shenanigans in the 505 - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Happy Thursday, Pharkers & Pharkettes!

Making the most of a few days off work and doing some cooking with the Munchkin. I've had a serious hankerin' for Mexican flavors, and it's getting cold 'round here. Time for some posole!

Looks like the first time I tried this was back in Oct 2019 - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275502.

I found Robert-r's Rainy Day Pozole Thread to be helpful, and also this recipe for Pozole Rojo.

Quit yammerin', man and get on with the show! :blah:

I've got a 4lb portion of picnic, a few leftover spare ribs from last night, and pigs' feet!

morkXf7l.jpg

mycbnxUl.jpg

You'll see I was well supervised as we seasoned the pork

gEL6oi6l.jpg

We stemmed/seeded the chiles

q2b71YCl.jpg

hJCEcbkl.jpg

Even the cats got involved as we browned the pork chunks in some reserved bacon grease from this morning's breakfast!

90QrJIWl.jpg

ALL the kids in the hot tub!

1wve90sl.jpg

UBcYQ3kl.jpg

WwYqe6gl.jpg

Brought the pot up to a boil, gave everything a bit of a stir to make sure the chilies are submerged in the stock / water combo... turned down the heat to a simmer... and we'll let it ride for about an hour before I check on it again.

More to follow!

Well, it's been 90 minutes since we started the pot a'boilin' and simmerin'.

The pork just won't relax and get tender.

I pulled the chilies, as I didn't want them to go too much further into the overly-rehydrated and falling apart stage (as most of the ancho chilies were already).

8X4pzzNl.jpg

I need to keep this on the simmer for another 30 minutes with the rest of the veg and whatnot in there until the pork is tender.

Meanwhile, the rest of it sure looks good (and smells even better)!

gGasMF9l.jpg

Finally got the pork to relax. Strained all the meat and veg out of the pot.

Pulled the pork into bite-sized chunks/pieces. Not really going for the shred.

XLfSnhKl.jpg

Blitzed the chilies, onions, and garlic with some of the broth. Went for smooth texture.

kqsv0p8l.jpg

Just recombined everything in the hot tub w/out the bay leaves, bones, and pigs feet. Simmering for a good 30 minutes before I start thinking about seasoning (mainly salt content).

Added a good 2 solid pinches of salt to the mix. Juiced a big, fat lime over the pot. Delicious.

Rinsed a couple of cans of hominy and added it to the pot.

yRfJPhpl.jpg

Was watching a lady cook posole rojo in this YouTube Video
- I liked her idea to keep the base soup spicy level kinda low and provide a spicy salsa to bump up the heat for those who want it.
- At the 27:33 point, she starts working on the salsa. Here's her recipe from the video notes:

Salsa for Pozole
Handfull of Puya Chiles (Remove Stems Keep seeds)
1 Garlic Bulb From Pozole
1/2 Tablespoon Mexican Oregano
1 Teaspoon Salt (Adjust to taste)
Enough broth from Pozole to Blend
For thicker Salsa add some Hominy

- As I had no puya chiles, I went to MSU for a moment:
- 2 New Mexico chiles (these can be hit or miss... like a box of chocolates of spicy)
- 3 chiles de arbol (guaranteed to be spicy)
- I didnt fry my chiles in oil, but I heated them in a dry nonstick pan so they'd release their own oils. I added in about 1/2 head of garlic from the pozole pot, and about a cup of water to fully cover the chilies. I brought this up just below simmer and let it steep for about 10-15 minutes until the chiles were soft.

suJLUxTl.jpg

Ptd1Zk7l.jpg

I blitzed everything together with the water from rehydrating the chilies vs. stock/soup from the pot.

WB7oG38l.jpg

Wow! This stuff is fantastic! Big hit of oregano, then chile heat... but with good garlic based foundation. Good seasoning. Yeah!

C8qZHLTl.jpg

This'll dress up any bowl of posole and add some additional flavor and heat!

FULL DISCLOSURE - Don't think this is planned for dinner tonight (but Lord only knows what'll happen). Had planned to let it sit in the fridge overnight to mix/mingle the flavors and probably hit it for breakfast.

More to follow.

Looks good, and with the world's cutest sous-chef.

Kid's 5 going on 27... and knows it. :roll:

The munchkin gets cuter everyday, glad to see your her teacher Marc.

We're blessed that she really wants to help around the house... especially if it's something that can be done together. My Mom and Grandmothers made sure to include us in cooking tasks early. Trying to pass that down as best I can.

Love your assistant
Thanks, George! Me, too. :wink:

Love the teamwork. It looks like Munchkin was really focused on the task at hand.

She was crazy excited to get to help. I had to take a few minutes up front to work out all the tasks I could have her do on her own (after a quick demo of each).

Looks Good BUT looks like the kid did Most of the Work.............

She did a great job of helping with all the prep work and the early cooking.
Then, she and CINCHOUSE went down for an afternoon nap. When she awakes, she's going to be rather hacked off that I pretty much finished the project without her. :noidea:

Yep. My girls awoke from their nap, tasted the brew and jumped at the idea of having this for dinner.

The Sous Chef poured a bowl... no cilantro or onion, but she's big on the lime. Asked for a bit of sour cream (not featured).

xGCVpS1l.jpg

Built my own bowl. Extra onion & cilantro. Hit the top with a good 4 tsp of the salsa mentioned above. Squeeze of lime.

pRkKMIgl.jpg

CINCHOUSE just crushed her bowl. Yep... there goes the Munchkin's bowl, too (despite the original Annie on the telly). Here goes my bowl!

I rarely go back for seconds of anything, but I may have to have a half-serving and kick up the spice level from that salsa!

Thanks for your patience throughout the day. Hope you give this a shot 'round your place sometime soon. It's killer for breakfast!

Looks outstanding, Shadow!!
I can't believe how fast Little Munchkin has grown! What a SweetHeart! :-D

What a great way to spend some time off. The shot of her looking down into the pepper (to see if seeds are gone?) is absolutely adorable. Great Job Marc!

The shot of her looking down into the pepper (to see if seeds are gone?) is absolutely adorable.

Yes! This was a hoot. She was intrigued by the differences between the ancho chiles and the guajillo chiles... especially when it came to getting the seeds out.

She is getting big How old?

Kid's growing like a weed! Has us reconsidering our nightly application of MiracleGrow to her feet as she sleeps. (I keed. I keed.) :roll:

Kid's 5 going on 27...

Back