THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
Our local Kroger's had Natural Pork Spareribs for $1.79 lb this weekend so I picked up three racks. I am smoking them as I post this. I am using my Trail Embers Smoker with a Hunsaker Vortex fire basket, and Q-Master Senior ATC @225 f.
I trimmed St-Louis Style and seasoned all three with Jeff's Rub. I will do one rack Memphis dry style, One will be done 3-1-1 wrapped with apple juice brown sugar and some additional rub, than sauced, last rack will be done in wrapped and sauced near the end. Will be interesting to see what ones we like the best. I also built a Hanging ring for the smoker so I can hang ribs, chicken or whatever. I have the trimmings sitting on a rack in the center that I trimmed so the ribs can hang beside the center. I also picked up a bag of Royal Oak Classic to try. It seems to burn somewhat hotter that the KBB I have been using.

Hanging rack
IMG_20180506_122038.jpg IMG_20180506_101741.jpg

IMG_20180506_101800.jpg IMG_20180506_110816.jpg

Trimmed and rubbed Ready to hang
IMG_20180506_125805.jpg IMG_20180506_130550.jpg

My smoker and grills
IMG_20180506_131521.jpg

At 2-1/2 hrs I sampled some of the smaller trimmings sitting on the center rack. They have great flavor. I spritzed with apple juice and apple cider vinegar, in 1/2 hr I will foil wrap one rack with apple juice, brown sugar and some butter along with a sprinkle of rub.

Nice start. Very good job on that hanging rack. I have a couple of butts on now of that same brand and am anxious to see how they are as I have never seen them before.

Nice start. Very good job on that hanging rack. I have a couple of butts on now of that same brand and am anxious to see how they are as I have never seen them before.
I cooked two racks of those spares untrimmed a couple of weeks ago. The taste was much superior to that of Kroger's enhanced ribs, none of that hammy taste.

If I would have had room in my freezer I would have bought a couple of pork butts as Kroger had them for $1.49 lb.

I cooked two racks of those spares untrimmed a couple of weeks ago. The taste was much superior to that of Kroger's enhanced ribs, none of that hammy taste.

We just finished supper and all of the ribs were great. They all had just the right amount of bite, none were mushy and fall off the bone. Just the way we like them. I liked the Memphis dry rub version the best. The wife said she couldn't pick a favorite. The daughter and her friend liked them all. I will say that they were some of the best I have made yet. I cooked all of the trimmings at the same time so I have some good rib meat to put in my cowboy beans the next time I make them. Here are some pics for your viewing.
Ready to cut
IMG_20180506_171509.jpg
Memphis dry rub
IMG_20180506_172330.jpg
uppers foiled and sauced, lower not wrapped just sauced.
IMG_20180506_172347.jpg

Back