THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N

NU2QN

Last weekend I cooked up a Butt roast which turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I promised my son i would do some spare ribs and another butt roast for his birthday this weekend. My problem is i cant find any good butt roasts in town as we only have two grocery stores (4-5 lb best). One of stores had cryopacked picnic shoulders, 2 per pack, 14-15 lbs. ea.. Do I cook them the same as I did the butt roasts last weekend? Any suggestions on trimming and cooking?

I am planning on cooking 225-250, fat cap up for 2-4 hours, flip and continue to IT of 165, foil and continue to IT of 195-205. Does this sound reasonable?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last weekend I cooked up a Butt roast which turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I promised my son i would do some spare ribs and another butt roast for his birthday this weekend. My problem is i cant find any good butt roasts in town as we only have two grocery stores (4-5 lb best). One of stores had cryopacked picnic shoulders, 2 per pack, 14-15 lbs. ea.. Do I cook them the same as I did the butt roasts last weekend? Any suggestions on trimming and cooking?

I am planning on cooking 225-250, fat cap up for 2-4 hours, flip and continue to IT of 165, foil and continue to IT of 195-205. Does this sound reasonable?

Sounds like a 2 pack of butts? Not picnics.

It is actually a 2 pk of picnics. The butt portion has been trimmed away. They are labled picnics

A butt is simply the shoulder side of a picnic.

I usually remove the skin but leave 1/4 of fat. The smoke will not penetrate the meat through the skin very well.

They have more connective tissue than the butts. On my whole shoulders, i normally take the skin off. Some people like the skin on to hold moisture, but i consider it a barrier to smoke and seasoning.

I defat them a little rub and cook at same temps and same method as a butt. They just seem to normally require a little bit higher finishing temp before they fall apart like a butt does.

Back