THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grillsmoke

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
After a less than desirable attempt to cook a full brisket on my Weber kettle grill, I decided to get an offset smoker. I found a used NB Silver Smoker on craigslist for $20 and couldn't pass it up. It was in good shape, but I still dismantled the whole thing, repainted it, put all new stainless bolts on it, and did the mods I could find online (baffle, rolled flashing in the smokestack, RTV sealant on the doors). I bolted some 1 inch angle inside the cook chamber where the cooking grates sit so I can slide them side to side. I also bolted some 1 inch angle inside the cook chamber where the leg bolts come through. I made tuning plates from 1/4 inch steel, 2 1/2 inches wide, and they sit on the angle iron. I can slide the plates close to each other or space them out, and it seems to work fairly well. I also found some old frying baskets that I use as charcoal baskets.

After doing some test firing to get the plates somewhat tuned, I bought some pork ribs and cooked them this afternoon. I read about the 3-2-1 method and tried it out. I prepped them with a dry rub and put them on the cooker. I spritzed them with apple juice every half hour, and rotated them at the same time (it was three racks). After three hours, I wrapped them in foil, and again rotated them every half hour for another two hours. Then, I unwrapped them, sauced them, and cooked them for another 30 minutes (so more like 3-2-.5). They turned out awesome. I've done a fairly good job on ribs before, but these are the best by far.

I have to give credit to the others who contributed to the forums and offered suggestions. It is very helpful to me, as I am still learning how to operate my new cooker. Thanks.

Back