THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks great Mista, looks pretty similar to what I like to turn in as well. A properly trimmed and cooked 5+ lb pork butt looks that that when done....easier said than done for sure, nice job:thumb:

I know it's permitted in KCBS rules, but in the events (MD) that I've judged, I've never seen sliced pork butt. That would definitely make me take a 2nd look.

My favorite part of the taste is usually getting a nice piece of bark. You've got a nicely seasoned outside, but my personal preference is to taste rub and not sauce. Since I can't taste your sauce, I'll just say the generalization that I often find sauce that distracts from the taste of the meat more often than not.

I'd like to see the meat looking a bit drier - not sure if it's too greasy or not on the inside.

Also, don't forget to practice with appropriate greenery and your official box (assuming KCBS here). Plating theory from many places would have you use odd numbers and symmetry. Slices like this might let you fit in 7 pieces, which would both give you odd numbers and give a little something to the TC. :-D

I know it's permitted in KCBS rules, but in the events (MD) that I've judged, I've never seen sliced pork butt. That would definitely make me take a 2nd look.
around here(missouri) half or better of the pork boxes turned in will have some pulled/chunked pork along with a sliced money muscle,

Neil, no foil. 3RD place (just behind H. Soo) at Penn Valley. Foil is for sissies. This is what you get when you practice good clean living!

NUTZ

Last edited:
Please don't take this wrong. The entry looks great. Too much sauce for me but that's just me. How did the actually pork butt taste besides the money muscles? I am with you about comps bro. Great job!

My favorite part of the taste is usually getting a nice piece of bark. You've got a nicely seasoned outside, but my personal preference is to taste rub and not sauce. Since I can't taste your sauce, I'll just say the generalization that I often find sauce that distracts from the taste of the meat more often than not.

I'd like to see the meat looking a bit drier - not sure if it's too greasy or not on the inside.

Also, don't forget to practice with appropriate greenery and your official box (assuming KCBS here). Plating theory from many places would have you use odd numbers and symmetry. Slices like this might let you fit in 7 pieces, which would both give you odd numbers and give a little something to the TC. :-D

These are the kind of comments from judges that make me nervous..if you dont turn money muscle in here even by itself you will get whacked. TRZA Im not picking on you at all..but it would be great if the standards were more uniform across the country...Neil I hope that Pork takes second at WIldomar!

These are the kind of comments from judges that make me nervous..if you dont turn money muscle in here even by itself you will get whacked. TRZA Im not picking on you at all..but it would be great if the standards were more uniform across the country...Neil I hope that Pork takes second at WIldomar!

Neil's been busy. First the chicken pictures and now pork. Better get the pit out and practice. That looks great.

Please don't take this wrong. The entry looks great. Too much sauce for me but that's just me. How did the actually pork butt taste besides the money muscles? I am with you about comps bro. Great job!

All I tasted was the money muscle. (I'm doing weight watchers). The customers loved it though.

I agree. Right behind The Rub Company!:becky:

Back