THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Learning to BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Wanted to smoke a pork shoulder today but the Missus wanted something healthier so I pulled out a 6.5 lb pork sirloin. Had a pork hock in the freezer as well that I've been wanted to smoke for some collard greens. Both have been brining for 24hrs. Also got some blood pudding that I want to get some smoke on and may use to enter something in my first throwdown attempt.

Gotta find a cover for my uds. Had to break and inch of ice off of the cover and dig the ice out of the bung plugs, and somehow water had gotten inside the drum too, and my fire basket was frozen to the bottom. Anyhow, got it all cleaned out and ready to go. Some fluffy stuff is falling today too, very pretty.

The meats

mustard slather and rubbed with SPOG

Ready to hit the grate

Gotta go get my fire going, will try and keep updating on the cook

Looks like a great day for bbq!!! Smitty will be by soon, he loves a good snot cook...

Meat's on, threw on some taters too. Haven't had a smoked potato before.

Cruising along at 300-325F. My thermometer says I'm in "Baking" range :shock: Because it's cold I managed to jerry rig up a diffuser plate for this cook using an old stock pot cover and some parts from my rotiserie.

The kicker is the Missus was at her parents today visiting and just called to say she's staying the night because of the weather. :doh: So it's just me here to eat all this :laugh:

Finished!

Pulled at 135F, was juicy when cutting it, but kinda dry on the plate. Rub flavor was good. Hard to be SPOG.

Plated with some steamed green beens and radishes. Blood pudding goes so well with potatoes. Shoulda just mashed em, but was trying to be fancy :oops: Don't think it's worthy of a throwdown entry. :rolleyes:

Overall, decent meal. How the heck do you farkers do it? By the time I was done taking pictures and arranging the plate my food was almost cold. :doh:

if I had a weed burner, i'd get myself in trouble, lol. I actually used my propane torch (which doesn't work very well, or hardly at all, at cold temps) to loosen the caps on the intake ports. When I tried to unscrew them the whole nipple started turning out of the drum, so I used my torch to heat them a bit and they came off.

Back