Pork Pirnel on the Kettle Yesterday

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
I recently purchased some pork picnics at an incredible price, so yesterday I thought I would try making some non-traditional (to me) types of pork.

I have been to some social gatherings where Pork Pernil was served, and it was a great tasting dish.

Pork Pernil - a Puerto Rican style roast pork that makes a festive feast. A delicious welcome to the warmer weather on the way here in NJ.

Take your time, don't rush, it takes 3 days to absorb the flavors while resting in the refrigerator. Cooking can also take you nearly 4 hours depending upon the size of the roast.

The process is easy, the result can be incredibly impressive, and the flavor is unbelievably great.!

So why not try to make it on the kettle - right? It also gave me an excuse to cook our lunch on the grill yesterday as well.

1 pork picnic
Carefully cut the skin back like a flap. With a knife make a few small holes into the pork shoulder under the skin to allow the mixture below drop into the holes.

While I have been told that there is not any specific recipe that a majority of the people can agree on; I find that this is true simply because almost every family has a different combination of ingredients that has been handed down generation after generation. Most do not even have measurements, they simply dump the ingredients by eye. I previously met with a few families as they prepared the dish, the items listed below were the common ingredients which three families used in approximate averaged quantities. However some of the other individual recipes call for other items like a Tablespoon of vinegar or lime juice, others call for raw onion, while some even call for cilantro, adobo, or a touch of ancho chili powder. Like I stated, everyone seems to make it different in some manner.

4 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
Olive oil (as needed to form a thin paste)

Mix the above ingredients forming a liquid paste, spread about half the mixture under the skin.
Pork%20Pirnel%201_zpsh0rf5lv7.jpg

Place skin back over the top of the meat, and apply the rest of the paste the the outside of the roast. Apply to the meat only, as the seasonings cannot penetrate the skin. Cover and rest the meat for 3 days in the refrigerator.

Pork%20Pernil%202_zpsoj4lk9yt.jpg

After 3 days fire up the kettle setup to utilize zone cooking - Direct and Indirect heat.

We will be utilizing the indirect heat side to roast the pork, rather than sear it.

DSCN0940_zpsv5kri0i3.jpg

The ideal temperature for cooking is about 425°, but anywhere between 400 - 450° will work fine. Some recipes call for the addition of water and to foil the pork, but I did not.

Score the skin on the outside in a checkered pattern, place the pork in the pan skin side up on the hot kettle.

Pork%20Pirnel%203_zpsesebylrf.jpg

Cooked the 9 lb picnic at 425° for one hour then drop the kettle to about 375°, but the temperature will also vary the time it takes to cook. About every hour baste the pork with the savory infused oil/fat in the bottom of the pan. Skin side up the pork stayed very moist and I pulled at an internal temperature of 190, and then covered with foil and let rest for 30 minutes before breaking it apart for serving.

Pork%20Pirnel%204_zpsubtq61em.jpg

The crispy skin and spices just run wild on your taste buds making them scream in unison for "more"

Last edited:
I thought I smelled something good when I drove through Pemberton yesterday. :-D

It looks fantastic, MadMan, and I'm saving this recipe.

Well done, Sir! :thumb:

Awesome looking pork! How long did that picnic take at those high temps?

About 3 hours...

Actually the recipe called for it to stay at 400 in the oven, but with the kettle jumping up and down, I cooked the 9 lb picnic at 425° for one hour then dropped the kettle to about 375°, with some spikes to 400°. It took about 3 hours and Itook it off the kettle at an internal temperature of 190.

I lowered the temperature because I was afraid the kettle might dry out the pork that was close to the charcoal. The fire bricks worked ok, but maybe next time I'll put a stainless half pan upside down to further the indirect heat.

Skin side up the pork stayed very moist, after taking off the kettle for a short time, I then covered it with foil to let it rest for 30 minutes before breaking it apart for serving.

Skimmed most of the fat and mixed the juices with the large pieces of pork in the serving pan. The kettle actually impart a light smoke flavor which complimented the pork well.

That looks FANTASTIC! I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard of this dish before, but I will certainly be giving this a try very soon!

Thanks for posting this!

Back