Pork chops on the offset...a revelation!

hammb

Full Fledged Farker
Ok I know this thread is worthless without pics, but I didn't get any since it was just a casual weeknight meal. I stopped at the butcher and got a pair of center cut chops cut about 1 1/4" thick. Since it is unseasonably warm, and I was roasting some acorn squash I figured I would fire up the stock burner and do the chops there instead of the kettle. Seasoned with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Started with a half chimney of lump and then a few splits of Apple and cherry to get a nice coal bed.

I let the smoke settle to thin blue and ran about 300-350* until they hit 130-140 internal. I then put a couple grates directly over my fire inside the firebox to sear them off and finish.

Holy hell, why have I never thought to do this before. Hands down the best pork chops I've ever had in my life. I'm sure this isn't news to others but it was a revelation to me and thought I'd share.

So was it the all wood fire that put them over the top? I find that makes a difference on nearly everything I cook.

Perfect way to cook BBQ lamb chops if your interested

So was it the all wood fire that put them over the top? I find that makes a difference on nearly everything I cook.

Yes, the sweet smoke flavor that came from the all wood fire was superb. I'm pretty much 100% lump when running charcoal, but still, the all wood smoke is always better (IMO).

I also think doing it on the offset, rather than starting indirect on the kettle, I was at a lower temp for the initial cook portion. I think bringing the chops up to temp slower made for more evenly cooked, tender chops than I get in the Kettle.

And, of course, the reverse sear method is beyond any doubt superior to the older "sear & finish" technique I used to always use.

Back