Pork box - judge and critique please

Hey OC-

Please share. What has turned you off on the classes around the east coast? I think there are a couple good ones to choose from.

BTW - I'd give the box a 6, just nothing special, but not aweful either.

Hey OC-

Please share. What has turned you off on the classes around the east coast? I think there are a couple good ones to choose from.

I'll take your class if you give one along with many other people in the area. Just a few classes out there that have heard are expensive and thats all they are. I am sorry YankeeBBQ, he will take offense to this even though I am not talking about him.

I'm waiting for Tuffy to give a class. I'll be the first in line :-D

I thought about giving a class, but it would be geared toward backyard cooks, not comp cooks.

I do recommend the I Smell Smoke Class, it was worth it, for me at least. They really took the time to answer any and all questions. I didn't think the price was too high either. Just my 2 cents.

I like this thread, from the comments, it looks like I'm on the mark when I'm scoring appearance. As it is, I would probably go 6, maybe 7.

On my monitor, that pork looks moist, but the box is unbalanced. Either leave out the shredded, or frame the chunks with some on the other 3 sides. I find it interesting that one comment was about the color of the sauce, which I don't even see on my monitor. I had to go back to look at the garnish, since I was looking at the meat arrangement. It seems fine, maybe could be neater, but no biggie.

I like Kuya's comment, that's totally what you want, for the meat to say "eat me now!"

I'm waiting for Tuffy to give a class. I'll be the first in line :-D

I thought about giving a class, but it would be geared toward backyard cooks, not comp cooks.

I do recommend the I Smell Smoke Class, it was worth it, for me at least. They really took the time to answer any and all questions. I didn't think the price was too high either. Just my 2 cents.

Tuffy is cool smoke correct?
As far as you go, let me know if you are doing anything, I would attend.
I actually contacted them about their class but I am not sure they want me there after todays events. OH WELL!

I'm actually going to say 5. It looks worse than average. Other than the strands, there seems to be no logic behind the placement at all. It looks a total mess.

If this was 13th, I'm betting that taking the strands out would have put you in top 10. Obviously, it must have been much better than it looks, but appearance couldn't have helped you. Those stringy strands should never make their way to your box. They dry out quickly and are chewy. If a judge took them, your tenderness scores will suffer. The two pieces on the top were probably what helped you the most. They are the pieces I'd grab for. They have bark and will be tender. Those are the right pieces you want in your box.

Long stringy pork is bad ju-ju.

Good luck.

Something is in the air. Must be winter and a bad economy combo.

We havent taken a class and we expect to win every contest we enter. If we dont, its Matts fault.

Thanks for everyones input. I will 86 the strands, the pork tasted decent. I was actually surprised on the alsmost decent finish. I will put more thought into placement. Pork here, pork there.

Thanks for everyones input. I will 86 the strands, the pork tasted decent. I was actually surprised on the alsmost decent finish. I will put more thought into placement. Pork here, pork there.

I bet is was fantastic. In the end, taste rules!

I give it a 7. I looks dry and I'd like to see more bark. The stringy meat isn't very appealing and catches the eye immediately. I'd suggest a spritz of something at the end. Maybe give it some rub and a bit of sauce and mix it up before you place it in your box. Show a lot of bark. I lie the chinkier meat as ng as it's not too large to eat.

Hey OC-

Other than the Guru / I Smell Smoke class, what other classes are regularly held in the Mid-Atlantic area? The only other one I'm aware of was the one at Dover by Fat Angel.

To keep it on topic -- I'd say between 5 and 6. I think food looks more appetizing when presented in an orderly, "put together" fashion.

So, if it looks dry, and the shredded [stringy] meat isn't appealing, why would you give it an above average score?

Because in a public forum people tend score higher and give the benefit of the doubt.

The box looks un-organized drylooking, off center, thrown together. (and so does the meat :wink:)

Looks like you really didn't care. 5

Other than the Guru / I Smell Smoke class, what other classes are regularly held in the Mid-Atlantic area? The only other one I'm aware of was the one at Dover by Fat Angel.
Very few randomly happen up here. I see on the KCBS classes listing that Lotta Bull is doing a class in KC every month of the year in 09. Dover DE has a class listed in April called BBQ 101

Thanks for everyones input, does anyone have an example of a cared for, put together box. Not sure how to put pork in a box with love, PLEASE HELP.

Yep, those pics that Pickled Pig put up were the inspiration for the pork and brisket boxes I did. I even printed the pics out - in color - and took them to the comp so I didn't have to do it from memory.
Sadly, mine didn't look quite as good as the pics, but we finished 6th in pork and 5th in brisket.

Back