THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

daveca83

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dave
I am thinking of smoking up some pork belly burnt ends this weekend to make those delicious, fun-sized bites. I wanted to know if anyone has frozen them before and whether they lose anything in the freezing process.

Also if anyone has any tips for reheating them? It would be great to have them in the freezer ready to add to a BBQ plate but I'm not sure they hold their taste.

I vacuum seal and freeze them. They are much better fresh... however...

I’ll warm them up about halfway in the bags in hot water. Then, I’ll remove them from the bags, put them in a glass cake pan / casserole dish, add some extra sauce, and finish warming them in the oven. Not as good as fresh but still really good.

I suppose it depends on how long you're going to have between initial cook and then reheating. I've made pans of them a few days before a football game and just put the foil covered pan into fridge after cooking, maybe going a tad short on cook time. Then at the game, put the pan indirect on grill and reheat. They've always come out great that way.

Vac seal in a single layer & freeze. Boil a pot or pan of water that will accommodate the package. Remove the boiling water from the heat, and... if frozen, drop the vac pack in and let sit in the sauna for about 10 minutes... if thawed first, drop the vac pack in and let sit in the sauna for about 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to nuclear, before you start your water to boil if you remember it. Place cubes on a wire rack if you have one (or on a sheet tray), and pop in the heat chamber for 3-5 minutes...enough to firm up the exterior.

That should do it.

Back