THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jmitch43

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Jim
Looking for some advice/help for my pork belly burnt ends. I usually start around 225 and work up to 250. I didn't usually put them in a pan with the works (bbq sauce, honey, rib candy) until they start probing tender. This past weekend this took around 2.5 hours. Internal temp was around 165 to 170. They cooked in a pan uncovered for another hour and half.

The fat at on them was like butter and super soft. However the meat was a little tough and this has been a reoccurring theme. I can't get good fat render but the meat is a little tough and never tender enough to cut with a fork.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Most meats I can get super tender when the fat is probing like butter but for some reason not my pork belly burnt ends.

I haven't done many pork belly burnt end cooks but I do have an idea that might improve your end product. I would cook the belly in a similiar fashion to cooking whole brisket, that is to say "smoke it until it looks like you want it, wrap in foil or butcher paper and continue to cook until it probes to the tenderness (in the meat, not fat) you desire". Once you've achieved that, crank up your cooker, cube up and sauce the belly and carmelize (burn) your sauce on. It works on brisket, it'll work on swine. Good luck and keep smokin'

Yep, like thirdeye says, cover up the pan. Here's some I did several years back.

Yep, like thirdeye says, cover up the pan. Here's some I did several years back.

Thank you!

Back