Pop up canopy question, do roof/peak vents work

cfrazier77

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Craig
I figure there are many here with pop up canopy experiabce. I am buying on for camping and shelter for smoking and serving food out of. Some have vents at the top and some don't. Do they work? It seems that most of the commercial ones don't have them. But, if they worked that would be great for letting steam, heat, and smoke out. Do they work? Which is better? Thanks

Last edited:
My sister-in-law has a 'sunshade' that is vented. It has the peak vent and holes along the side. It's designed to protect from sun, not from rain.

People under it at the Memorial Day dinner...had much soggier BBQ than those under the metal patio awning.

I had a Strongway 12'x12' canopy for Northern Tool and it had vents. You can barely see the smoke but it's the blurriness coming out from the vents. I liked it until I had to disassemble it.
1fa4d7fd07a26982c2dd74e7c3e4a9ba.jpg

I don’t think you will notice a difference in terms of smoke etc. I think they are primarily to help protect it from wind gusts and I haven’t found they do very well on that front either.

I tried smoking under one a few years ago. Mine didn't have vents. The smoke had no where to go and my eyes burned so bad I couldn't stay under it for more than a few min.

Jason

Timely thread, I was looking for one over the weekend. Looks like Academy has the cheapest. I primarily am looking for a sun shade more then something to Q under. I assume these things all have a shelf life of a few seasons. Should I go with academy or is there a better option.

OP hope this isn't a hijack since you already pulled the trigger on your purchase.

I have not had luck with two academy pop-ups. I didn't even get a full season. I have had a Eurmax going on 3 years and looks good as new.

I guess it depends on what kind you get. We had some storms blow through yesterday/last night. This is the neighbor's gazebo...

r02coj1h.jpg

Back