Please help me design an outdoor kitchen

hedonsmbot

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Troy
We're having a house built with a covered outdoor kitchen and I'm clueless.

The below plans have been approved and permit has been issued.
I can't read blueprints but near as I can tell this shows a one-wall kitchen about 10 feet long.

The kitchen must include: Sink, Small In-set gas grill, high BTU side burner (for deep frying in dutch oven), large BGE, room to add pizza oven at some point.

Based on the attached, how would you lay it out? I've literally never seen an outdoor kitchen in person but since I got into BBQ in 2020 I've known I needed it.

jlaJnf.jpg

I’ve done a couple outdoor kitchens. A sink with hot and cold water is a game changer. Good quality outdoor fridge is really nice too. On my first one, I used a commercial pizza prep fridge with stainless top, but the fridge needs to be an outdoor model to function properly. I built the structure and rolled my egg around on a cart to experiment with the layout. I situated the sink so that I could run the plumbing from the basement, and had a plumber put valves in the basement that allowed me to drain down the system in the winter.

Through experimentation I found that I liked having all my cookers on wheels, so that I can change it up based upon what cooker I want to use, wind variation, etc. I extended the slab next to the outdoor kitchen so that I can store the cookers not currently in use and roll them in when needed.

A ceiling fan is really nice, especially when there is no wind, to move the smoke and stay cool in the summer.

A radiant outdoor heater would be nice to have in Toronto winters. Gas is cheaper than electric, but either way you need to run gas or 220 electric to your ceiling.

You can’t have too many electrical outlets….

An outdoor TV is pretty cool.

My current setup has a huge outdoor fireplace that is beautiful, but pretty much useless. The heat goes up the chimney.

Having a way to close it in the winter would be cool, either with roll up or sliding doors, and an exhaust hood for the smoke.

I have a concrete floor and wish I had epoxy coating with some texture for slip resistance. It would make it a lot easier to clean.

A built in trash can that slides out seems like a good idea, but they are small so I end up having a large Rubbermaid with a lid that I can slide around, that’s easy to clean and there’s a smaller chance I will forget to empty it.

On my first build, I did soapstone countertops that are heat resistant and look really cool.

Another thing that would be cool is a hose bibb with hot and cold water. Nice to hose everything down and clean large pans. The sink I used was a drop in utility sink, that was black, so it didn’t look like a laundry sink, but would accommodate a large pan or bucket of water.

I made a poor man's outdoor kitchen during COVID. But it's basically just outdoor countertops. Which I made out of treated wood and concrete pavers.

But I second the recommendation for water. Having a wet sink would be really nice.

Same with outlets. Can't have too many of those. And lights.

Back