Planning on Smoking a Corned Beef Brisket

87Olds

Knows what a fatty is.
I have two corned beef brisket flats in the freezer, and I need to use them up (had them for some time). I have found many recipes and techniques for this, including finishing them in a pressure cooker, which sounds really good. I found one on Oklahoma Joe's site that looks good, but may require some tweaking:

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/recipes/smoked-corned-beef

The recipe sounds good, but from what I've read, I think I should soak the meat to get the extra salt out, possibly four hours at a time, changing the water several times. Thinking about using both the OK Joe's offset for the smoke, and the Camp Chef to finish. Plan is this:

Mix up the rub, and put a heavy coating on the brisket

Let it sit while I start the offset. Will start with a charcoal base, and add either oak, pecan or hickory...leaning towards pecan.

Once the temp hits 250, put the briskets on and cook them to 165.

Put the briskets in a pan, add a cup of water and a cup of beef stock, cover with aluminum foil and transfer them to the Camp Chef.

Cook the briskets to 200 or when it is tender enough to use the probe.

What would be the best choice for the smoking wood, and is there anything else that I should consider?

Thanks,

Jim

Jeez. Calm down. This is not a moon shot. Taste the meat to check the salt level. Soak only if necessary. Cook to probe tender and enjoy.

You want to soak it for sure, my son made 1 and didn't , had to throw away it was so salty,I made 1 and soaked for 24 hours and changed water 3-4 times, it was great. next time I will smoke at low temps for 6 hours then into a SV bath for 6-7 set at 204, just did a brisket and cut the flat off where the point started and SV'ed it, best brisket I have ever made. I left it in package and put into the fridge till the next day, then sliced.

pastrami

Just take it up to 165 to 170 and let it cool overnight. Slice and serve. No need to go past the smoking step IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Sako ... on one of your posts you wrapped at 160 ... did you pull at 170 or go higher ? Some techniques steam with broth to 200. Does that render more fat or make it more tender ? thx

He who masters the finish, masters the pastrami...... ~thirdeye~

I think overall your plan looks pretty good, but the soak-out time might not be long enough. In my PASTRAMI article I run down several finishing options you might want to check out.

Back