THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hawgsnheifers said:

Todd...as I said in my first post here I'm definatley a Gator pits man....I just ain't got that kind of money to spend on this particular pit:mad:.....but ,I really do believe they are one of the best pit builders out there and a heck of a bunch of nice guys to boot.....BTW....I boughtTexas Legend from them ...just don't have it anymore..:cry: Check out my avitar.

Oh ,and Hodedo, thanks for the info...that's one I hadn't thought much about...I'll definatley give 'em a little harder look.

I have been reading about Peoria Custom Cookers. They have a 24x72 unit that lists for under $4k. Here is a link: http://www.peoriacustomcookers.com/new/24X72/index.html

Standard features on this unit include:
24” X 72” main chamber
24” X 24” X ¼” thick firebox
Dual SIX INCH smoke stacks for maximum control of air flow
2” drain pipe with removable cap
Stainless steel air cooled handles
PCC paint protocol consisting of 1300 degree paint

Standard features on this trailer include: Dexter Torsion axle with a 5 year factory warranty (2,000 lb rating )
Bulldog coupler and jack
Sealed tail lights ( DOT approved)
15” tires with white wagon wheels
Two safety chains
Water proof mounted document holder for registration etc.

tumpedover said:
Great Looking pits...I've looked at them a time or two on their website...look great...you know anybody who has owned one??

One of their salespeople posted here on this forum for a short time. Can't remember the name, sorry.

Check out Peoria Custom Cookers. Best thing I ever bought. I have a 24X72 offset trailer but they have verticals also. Everything is made out of 1/4" steel plate and the price is right in your range.

smpa86 said:
Check out Peoria Custom Cookers. Best thing I ever bought. I have a 24X72 offset trailer but they have verticals also. Everything is made out of 1/4" steel plate and the price is right in your range.

I've been cheking on them the last couple of days ...I agree they do look like great pits!

John,
Here is another local pit builder: http://www.cookersandgrills.com/ Parrothead, I think, has one of Mr. Ortone's larger versions, and it is a work of art. Same basic design as the Lang, but more custom built. I was able to see one in action in competition a couple of years ago, and confess that I would really like to have one.

The owners name is Bill. He is a great guy and really took care of me. Tell him Jordan Drury from Kansas City sent you. That 24X72 is one of the best cookers I have ever used. It towes like a dream and the welds are impeccable. He said my grandkids would be able to use this thing and I beleive him. Go to "the smoke ring.com" read the product reviews on the guys from the bahamas who bought the big one.

tumpedover said:
Tj, I'm going deep into Gods country.....Midland Odessa area......Real deep.....a far cry from the old golden triangle eh? !:mrgreen:

An don't mind Noah, He's breathed so much smoke he gets confused!!! Or is that from the beer...either way he's confused:wink:...

Oh and Sawdust guy.....
I'm not 100% sold on the lang but it is definatley in the running...Others I'm considering are the Diamond Plate 70 http://diamondplateproducts.com/.... the SMokey Joe's Caterer http://smokeyjoesmokers.com/index.html , and Old Country http://www.bbquepits.com/portable_trailer_bbq_smokers.htm
As well as a few others.....Y'all check these out and tell me what you think...Right now, and I'm definatley not settled 100% yet, these are the top runners. If any one has any input on any of these as well I would love to here it!:biggrin:

Those are great cookers also. John why not take a second to sit back and focus on what type of smoker you want. Do you mind staying up and feeding a stickburner? Would a superinsulated upright that would take less tending be interesting. I know everyone is throwing alot of different type of smokers and manufacters at you and it can get confusing. Once you have the exact type of cooker you want it should make it much easier for you to decide. Best of luck. PM me if you wish.

Single Fin Smoker said:
Hey Tumped, u back in TX?
I'll be headed back in about a month or so!! Can't wait to get back into God's country!!

Sawdustguy,
I have always cooked on an offset. I have only been looking at offsets as well, granted some have been reverse flow,some have not, I've been looking at traditional and some even a little non-traditional but always the offset. So as far as the TYPE of cooker I want...there's no ? I want an offset.
As you can see from my Avitar and list of pits I currently own and one in particular that I no longer own:cry:...the Texas Legend.....I have tended my share of fires:roll:...to me it's part of the fun. I know that there are lots of other types of pits out there that are incredibly well made as well as designed, but for me it's offset all the way.:biggrin: Mostly the questions I have are about cookers that I personally have never cooked on......just wonderrin' what the opinions were on these pits.
Thanks for the advice and offers to help It's much appreciated.....I'll keep ya posted on what I finally decide....but I'm not in a all fired hurry...I'm not pitless as of now:wink:

Noah,
I definatley Like Eddie Ortones pit's I got a chance to see his operation and pits a year or so ago ...I have to agree these babies are works of art:eek:!!!
I had almost forgot about his stuff....thanks for reminding me....I'll have to make another trip out there soon!!

Back