PIT Care

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
I plan on keeping my Pit covered as much as possible but I am curious as to what everyone does to treat their PITs and protect them from the elements and from rust?

Gerry
(Paid subscription in 4 days :) )

Pam on the stick burner! UDS and Weber OTS 55 gal contractor grade Trash bags, Mini WSM. upside down 30 gal plastic chit can

I have a few coats of clear on the UDS other than that nothing. I'll repaint it a different color when it gets to bad.

the mini has a grill cover for the 18in weber grill over it. my otg has the 22in grill cover over it. Both are under the covered part of my deck. I cook on them enough where I dont have to worry about keeping them oiled up.

I'm getting an 84" cooker ... inside I understand how to treat, season, and clean. Hinges I'm OK with. Will be getting a Powder Coat done. What I'm more focuses on is making sure I do all I can to keep it in best shape. Hefty investment and my wife knows how to shoot!

Frequent use is good for it :mrgreen: That, and a coating of PAM on the exterior paint.

8067155663_1581393d32_n.jpg

Most of mine are on a covered porch. No water, no problems.

I just discovered the el cheapo Lowe's round grill cover that fits up to a 30" kettle or UDS. It's pretty cheap vinyl but has an elastic bottom and costs eight bucks. I have one on the kettle part of my 22.5 one touch platinum (allowing me to use the side tables) and one on the 25.75 Weber. Will probably get a third for the UDS once I'm done fabricating.

I just discovered the el cheapo Lowe's round grill cover that fits up to a 30" kettle or UDS. It's pretty cheap vinyl but has an elastic bottom and costs eight bucks. I have one on the kettle part of my 22.5 one touch platinum (allowing me to use the side tables) and one on the 25.75 Weber. Will probably get a third for the UDS once I'm done fabricating.
When my Weber cover tore on my OTS I picked one of these up and it works pretty well.

First, I keep mine covered or in the garage at all times. Second, I clean the ashes out every cook, as moisture and ashes=rust. Lastly, for the cooler parts I keep a wire brush and a can of paint, so if I see rust, I address it immediately before it starts to pit (hard to stop then). On the hotter parts, I use a light coat of Crisco several times during a cook. I used to use Pam, but it leaves a sticky residue, and Crisco gives it a nice cast iron skillet look. I like the results of peanut oil too.

I always use vegetable oil or cooking oil on my firebox on the bandera. I coat it good once I am through cooking so it cools on the box and seasons as it cools. works wonders and the box is always a nice rich black color.

Back