THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rehless

Full Fledged Farker
Don't know if this will be of interest to any PBC owners,but I use these magnetized hooks on mine to regulate temps and they work really good to shut her down when my food is done and save the charcoal. From Harbor Freight, I believe.

Attachments

I see. In the UDS build guys mentioned magnets - and I thought they would be refrigerator magnets.

I use fridge magnets. The one the pizza guys bring by. However I like that hook magnet. Seems like it could be useful.

A while back I bought aluminum tape to seal some ac ducts which left me an almost full roll. I tear off some each time and cover the bottom vent and it shuts it down immidiately with plenty of charcoal left over. That looks like a neat idea as well. Thanks.

You can see it in this pic. I just cover bottom vent when done.

20131128_130315.jpg

mSvolpBj-q5dc8GdgJOUdIg.jpg

I use my Weber charcoal chimney with the PBC all the time and it works great. I think the Pit Barrel guys are trying to appeal to the novice smoker as well as the Brethren, so for some lighter fluid may actually be a plus! :shocked:

I would not let the suggestion to use lighter fluid scare you off. Any other lighting method works fine, and the PBC is a great smoker for the money.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

I use lighter fluid,mostly. Also have starter cubes and an electric starter. No problems with the fluid. Ikissell is right, great smoker.

I have used fridge magnets since I got mine a year ago including for the bottom vent. I use a chiminey to start charcoal.

rehless please return my tongs I wondered where they had gotten off to. Good idea on the magnets I remember hearing something about Aluminum something causing ahhhh.... hey those look just like my tongs

I use a chimney as well BUT I've used lighter fluid twice when I wanted to accelerate the lighting process. Either way is fine.

I have had mine right at a year. No issues at all. I use weedburner to start mine now. Great smoker.

I was in Harbor Freight today and bought four more hook magnets. We have a fifth wheel trailer and I know I will find a use for them. They have a nice strong grip.

I'm planning on getting one of the PBC's this year, and have NO plans on using lighter fluid. I have never had a drop of the stuff on any of my smokers or grills. I understand the technical reasons why it can be used without issues, but i'm not risking it to save 9 minutes.

On topic, that magnet idea looks great, i'll try to remember that when I finally get mine!

I agree with the above, my chimney starter will work like it always has. Love the magnet idea, and the inlet seems easier to close down than the exhaust?

Back