THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FWIsmoker does not have a PBC and can't be relied upon for advice on this IMO. Get the PBC rolling and let it cook at the temp it wants to run at. If you want to try to crisp the skin a bit, remove one rebar or very slightly crack the lid the last 20 minutes of your cook.

Honestly, when someone asks for advice on cooking an important holiday meal, it is NOT the time to advise that they try to use their cooker in a way it was not intended to operate.

FWIsmoker does not have a PBC and can't be relied upon for advice on this IMO.

I can't....Really??? I gotta chuckle. I cook more chickens and turkeys than most anyone on here, I hang chickens, turkeys etc etc.... etc.... so excuse me but I think I'm more than qualified. My point to him was to cook hot and not worry...what ever the PBC gets up to it gets up to. Specific temp ranges are silly, it won't matter what temp in that range he cooks.

Telling skewerlee to not worry about specific temps is NOT bad advice regardless of me owning a PBC or not

Cook the turkey anywhere from 300* if that's what you want to 450* and it'll come out just fine and dandy.

Wow thing, you got my stomach hurting from laughing on that one. I would LOVE for you to explain how my birds hung over charcoal briquettes are any different from one on the PBC. Birds are birds, hooks are hooks, a basket full of briquettes is a basket full of briquettes....These cookers weren't designed by NASA for use on the moon. Advice on cooking over charcoal from one cooker to another is :blah::blah::blah: ....exactly the same but if you want to think it's more than what it is in your PBC then have it brother.

Last edited:
Keith - I honestly don't care what you post anywhere ... with the exception of this thread. People new to the PBC come here for advice from PBC owners. If you stayed out of this particular thread I would have you on ignore and be much happier for it, but you won't.

The difference from your cookers is that the PBC is a cooker with one small pre-set air intake and 4 rebar holes for controls. That's it. It has no effective way to dialing up and dialing down temps. It is fine to experiment with the PBC if that's what one wants. A holiday meal is not the time to advise experimentation.

You won't accept this explanation because you're incapable of it. Don't expect me to reply to your posts again. I will, however, continue to do my best to mitigate what i view as 'information errors' you introduce in this thread.

Keith - I honestly don't care what you post anywhere ... with the exception of this thread. People new to the PBC come here for advice from PBC owners. If you stayed out of this particular thread I would have you on ignore and be much happier for it, but you won't.

The difference from your cookers is that the PBC is a cooker with one small pre-set air intake and 4 rebar holes for controls. That's it. It has no effective way to dialing up and dialing down temps. It is fine to experiment with the PBC if that's what one wants. A holiday meal is not the time to advise experimentation.

You won't accept this explanation because you're incapable of it. Don't expect me to reply to your posts again. I will, however, continue to do my best to mitigate what i view as 'information errors' you introduce in this thread.

Dude, pre set ...shmee set air someone down in Texas on a rainy day is going to have different results in temps than someone in Northern California on a dry day is going to be different than someone using theirs in Michigan on a cold snowy day.

I said NOTHING about experimentation smart guy....get over yourself brother.

Thingfish way to mitigate any potential damage I could do me giving advice on cooking! :-D You deserve an attaboy for that!!! :laugh:

Here's the original post, Where did I say anything about experimenting?? I said to let temps get as hot as it would get (as in normally go)....I did not say to make it go so hot. Wow

For those of you who monitor your pbc cooking temp like I do...what's a good target temp for turning out great turkey?
Honestly I wouldn't worry about specific temps and just cook as hot as the cooker will go...If you get in the 350* 400* you'll do just fine.

FWIsmoker does not have a PBC and can't be relied upon for advice on this IMO. Get the PBC rolling and let it cook at the temp it wants to run at. If you want to try to crisp the skin a bit, remove one rebar or very slightly crack the lid the last 20 minutes of your cook.

Honestly, when someone asks for advice on cooking an important holiday meal, it is NOT the time to advise that they try to use their cooker in a way it was not intended to operate.

The pbc is a drum. You hang food in it.

I can think of no other brethren i would seek advice from on hanging poultry in a drum/vertical cooker than fwismoker.

You can control temps on a pbc. Alclarke mentioned several. Just cause you have a grudge with someone doesn't mean their advice is bad.

For those of you who monitor your pbc cooking temp like I do...what's a good target temp for turning out great turkey?

Alright folks we've been on a good track record with no arguments in the thread so how about everyone just take a deep breath, have a drink and maybe take a break for a little bit.

To skwerlee, I monitor temps In my PBC but mainly to ensure I'm hitting my target temperature of 275 °. That is where I like to cook. Yes, I've figured out ways to get higher temps by pulling a rod or cracking my lid about 1/4". Now to your question, I would probably cook a turkey just like I do chicken and stay about 275-300° until the last 20 min then I would ramp up the temperature to about 350 to crisp up the skin.

The PBC wasn't designed to change temps with every cook. But some of us have figured out ways to change temps in about 25° increments. My point is though, you can cook everything at the same temp in the PBC if you want and I usually do. I have made pecan pie though which requires 350°. Turned out great by the way! :becky:

Keith (fwismoker) does cook a LOT of poultry and he seems to like the hotter cooks which is why he probably said he'd do his bird at 400. You could do yours at that temp too or at 275, 300, ect and you'll get good results. I've found the hotter I cook chicken I don't get as much smokey flavor so I usually like the lower temperature but never lower than 275.
But that flavor is a personal preference. I've also found if you try to cook above 350 in the PBC the temperature becomes harder to control and you will get faster and bigger temperature swings. It can be done though.

I think what thingfish was trying to tell you is just cook your bird how you cook everything else on the PBC and you'll get great results. My only additional comment would be to crack the lid to crisp up the skin.

I hope this answers your question. Don't forget to take pics and tell us what you ended up doing.. :thumb:

Edit: If anyone wants to continue on with the turkey issue feel free to PM me or eachother. I would just like to politely ask that you keep it out of the thread. Thanks. ...

Last edited:
Skwerlee, could you tell us how you prepped your turkey? What rub did you use if you did, did you brine or inject or neither, ect. Thanks!

Skwerlee, could you tell us how you prepped your turkey? What rub did you use if you did, did you brine or inject or neither, ect. Thanks!

Sure. I coated it good with olive oil and hit it with some Adkins Southwest BBQ dry rub. Then I injected it with some Tony Chachere's Creole Butter Marinade. I also put some herbs in the cavity. Smoked it for 3.25 hours and let it rest tinted with foil for another 30 minutes or so.

Well it looks delicious and that description sounds delicious. Care to mail me some? Lol. :thumb:

Well it looks delicious and that description sounds delicious. Care to mail me some? Lol. :thumb:

haha well it didn't last long it's all gone!

Thanks guys...I'm feeling great about the Thanksgiving day smoke.

I seriously can't say enough good things about that new PBC Turkey Hanger...makes life so much easier. I did a 12lb bird and could've easily fit a 2nd one in the PBC with an additional hanger.

Back