THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi guys, a follow up on my high temp PBJ...

i've tried a couple more cooks, following some advice from the thread..Less briqs to start (~10) and giving the cooker some time to settle (~10mins) before putting food on. No peeking and quickly putting food on.

I even tried throttling the vent fully closed+some foil to close it an additional ~1/2 way

Unfortunately, implementing the above i'm still having similar issues.. cooker's temps continue to runaway up past 350 and stay up there.

Everyone i've messaged or read says their cooker runs consistent at around 275-300, but i cant seem to get mine to run there.

Any final suggestions? Is there anything i should check that could indicate a defect? (note this is a newer PBJ, not a recall one)

I really dont want to have to block off the vent or the rod holes etc as that seems like it defeats the purpose of a "simple cooker"

You need to get the sides crudded up first. This slows the airflow. You might think I am crazy, but I have seasonedin 2 PBC's and 4 PBJs.

How is the food turning out? For new years last year I have up checking on barrel temperature and just going off food temperature . I've found that has been so much more relaxing and I'm still getting great food. If food isn't coming out well that's one thing; but if you're getting great results who cares what temperature the barrel is. The new craze is hot and fast anyways. That being said I have the regular PBC and have never used the junior. Let us know

How is the food turning out? For new years last year I have up checking on barrel temperature and just going off food temperature . I've found that has been so much more relaxing and I'm still getting great food. If food isn't coming out well that's one thing; but if you're getting great results who cares what temperature the barrel is. The new craze is hot and fast anyways. That being said I have the regular PBC and have never used the junior. Let us know

I think the food is turning out OK, good flavor but some things have been a bit crispy/burnt and hence why I am hoping to bring the temps down.

I think the food is turning out OK, good flavor but some things have been a bit crispy/burnt and hence why I am hoping to bring the temps down.

frustrating and I totally get it as I had similar problems....and it should run the way it was designed. Let me ask - is the lid warped? is there smoke coming out from under the lid at all? you should only have smoke coming out of the rebar holes. I highly recommend lava lock as that helped me get a nice seal on my lid and made a huge difference. take care.

Hi guys, a follow up on my high temp PBJ...

i've tried a couple more cooks, following some advice from the thread..Less briqs to start (~10) and giving the cooker some time to settle (~10mins) before putting food on. No peeking and quickly putting food on.

I even tried throttling the vent fully closed+some foil to close it an additional ~1/2 way

Unfortunately, implementing the above i'm still having similar issues.. cooker's temps continue to runaway up past 350 and stay up there.

Everyone i've messaged or read says their cooker runs consistent at around 275-300, but i cant seem to get mine to run there.

Any final suggestions? Is there anything i should check that could indicate a defect? (note this is a newer PBJ, not a recall one)

I really dont want to have to block off the vent or the rod holes etc as that seems like it defeats the purpose of a "simple cooker"
I have had many issues with mine also. I winded up buying a new lid and lava rock. I have not tried the new lid yet, but when I start rolling here soon, I will see if that made the difference.

Wanted to get some advice for smoking some tomahawk steaks today. My plan is to hang them but wasn't sure if i would be able to go through the meat or if i should drill into the bone and hang through the bone.

Next I wanted to know roughly how long you guys think it will take. The steaks are about 2.5" thick. I saw Noah's video and his said 30 minutes but that seemed like it wasn't enough time so I wanted to get the brethren's opinion for timing.

Lastly, would you recommend any wood chips or chunks? I have hickory, apple, cherry, and some bourbon barrel wood chunks.

Here’s some good photos of the tomahawk.
f764d6635a93315795b4b6b1484d480a.jpg

6ce6589ebe40cee03206c87f80dccdcc.jpg

c6d47da69f37189d211883e6ca6b6428.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to the forum and first post. Hi folks.

I tried searching if the PBC ever went on sale before Mother's Day and Father's Day but came up empty. Would you guys happen to know? I would like to purchase one so I can cook them something special since they have been in the house ever since the stay-at-home order started. I really like the set it and forget it aspect of the PBC.

Should I pull the trigger now or wait and see if they have a sale? I will probably get the PBC Select package anyway in the next couple of days.

Agree with LloydQ pull the trigger I've never seen them go on sale; and not to start a debate but I would say get the hinged grate, ash catcher, and pit barrel chimney at minimum for accessories.

Agree with LloydQ pull the trigger I've never seen them go on sale; and not to start a debate but I would say get the hinged grate, ash catcher, and pit barrel chimney at minimum for accessories.

I agree on the grate and ash catcher. I use a small Weber chimney and it has been fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. All must haves. The small Weber chimney is fine too.

Thank you, everyone. I just placed an order for the PBC Select which includes the chimney starter, hinged grate, ash pan, cover and grips.

What's the recommended "guaranteed not-to-mess-up" first cook? I would like to try out some ribs.

Thank you, everyone. I just placed an order for the PBC Select which includes the chimney starter, hinged grate, ash pan, cover and grips.

What's the recommended "guaranteed not-to-mess-up" first cook? I would like to try out some ribs.

It's hard to mess up, but my absolute favorite thing off the PBC is ribs. Grab a few racks and split a chicken. You won't be disappointed!

Have fun!

Back