No it was perfectly dry. I'm wondering if I'm being too Yankee cheap and using fire bricks for a half basket cook. Maybe the fire bricks are preventing the ash from dropping properly; but I remember my last brisket cook last winter I had serious issues with fat drippings and ash clogging build up. Also my charcoal might be old because last Home Depot sale I stocked up.

I don't think it was the half basket and fire bricks. I've used that method a lot with good results. I will say however I never use it for a cook over about 3-4 hours. Usually they are short cooks and mainly chicken.
Could be old coal or maybe just a bad batch?? Having said that, I don't use KBB for anything other than the initial lighting of coals. I've been using Royal Oak lately since I can't find Stubb's anymore.

Moving and can't take my PBC with me. If anyone in the Las Vegas area wants one, please PM me.

Impulse buy alert! It may have been alcohol induced but I miss a barrel cooker, just pulled the trigger on a new PBC.

Stand by for plenty of??????

Awesome Tom! It'll be a great addition to your arsenal of cookers! Looking forward to seeing what you cook up in the PBC!

I’ve had my PBC for many years and all the turkey photos recently made me curious to hear if anyone has tried hanging their turkey feet side down rather than breast side down? Would there be a difference?

Has anyone tried smoking pork belly on their PBC? I have some pork belly curing for bacon right now and want to put a nice hickory smoke to it this weekend. Any ideas on how to keep the PBC temp down low enough?

I am hoping to keep the temp around 200 and thought I would try a half basket or less of charcoal and see if that would help.

Are you asking about making bacon or smoking pork belly? Pork belly is easy, just score the fat, season, and cook to temp, then I like to char up the fat.

If you are curing belly for bacon and want the lower temps, then just use about 10-12 coals and add as needed. I used the 1/4 circle coal rack from my Weber to keep them contained and managed. My temps stayed under 200 for a couple of hours.

What are people using for charcoal/lump? I've been having some real issues with KBB getting really ashy; it's snuffing out and clogging my basket (I have the ash pan). Cooked ribs today (temp in the teens) and even though I had good temps I had to poke the charcoal a couple times to get the ash off live coals. Charcoal lasted a lot shorter than normal which could have been from the cold temps but I use my PBC all year round and haven't experienced this issue too much in the past.

Long story short should I stick with Kingsford or are there suggestions for readily available different brands that work in the PBC?

Teal,

I use whatever I have on hand but prefer lump charcoal. Recently I used lump and cooked six racks of baby backs on the PBJ. It was cold and windy (not as cold as you describe) but I finished in 3 1/2 house unwrapped.

They came out crazy good but not surprised at all

WIvpF57h.jpg

With lump I fill the basket tight

sp7iTbzh.jpg

6zumJPjh.jpg

Even managed to burn up the the very last bones on two of the racks since to coals were touching it. Maybe you had bad batch of charcoal??

NcNSztSh.jpg

It is Here

YUWvkcmh.jpg

Mine came in last week, 2 cooks so far

first was a couple fatties, ran with all lump as t is my normal fuel source, it ran a bit hot, filled the basket 3/4 full a dumped a 3/4 small chimney of light and let it go ran 400+ and chared the bottoms a little but they were tasty.

second was a whole chicken, used the recommended start up procedure from the videos used kbb and no wood ran around 300, chicken was outstanding. I have never had chicken that tasted quite like this excellent.

been reading the whole thread to earn all the tricks, up to page 120, I may get through the thread in another 6 weeks or so

I'm thinking I'm gonna have some fun playing around with this this.

Make sure you get the lid back on quickly after you dump the hot coals. Once it gets hot it’s hard to bring down.

YUWvkcmh.jpg

Mine came in last week, 2 cooks so far

first was a couple fatties, ran with all lump as t is my normal fuel source, it ran a bit hot, filled the basket 3/4 full a dumped a 3/4 small chimney of light and let it go ran 400+ and chared the bottoms a little but they were tasty.

second was a whole chicken, used the recommended start up procedure from the videos used kbb and no wood ran around 300, chicken was outstanding. I have never had chicken that tasted quite like this excellent.

been reading the whole thread to earn all the tricks, up to page 120, I may get through the thread in another 6 weeks or so

I'm thinking I'm gonna have some fun playing around with this this.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Couple of long 3 bone plate ribs. Not a lot of marbling though. Fingers crossed how they turn out. At least I can count on the PBC to do its thing...

Last edited:
I got a PBC for Christmas. The barrel is about 1.5 -2 inches out of round. Do y’all have any suggestions on how to get it close to being back to round?

I got a PBC for Christmas. The barrel is about 1.5 -2 inches out of round. Do y’all have any suggestions on how to get it close to being back to round?

I would contact them, I would expect they send you a new one.

Is this normal?

this is as little as the intake will close, it works fine but I was wondering?

u8N1G5Dh.jpg

That is what I thought, thanks.

Just noticed this small chip too, think I'll give them a call tomorrow.
l4JQxYJh.jpg

Back