reason i bought the PBC was for set and forget...so i had no interest in adding lava gaskets etc....BUT I was also a total rookie when to came to smoking so i wanted to learn and hone my skills a bit...right off the bat the lid issue for me did result in cooks that didn't go well as temps got really hot and tended to stay there, etc. for you guys that don't bother watching temps etc. and food is great good for you - keep at it - that's the goal of this thing really. for others though that might have a lid issue that's affecting their cooks....this is what i bought and installed. and yes, goes on like weatherstripping around edge of lid where lid sits on cooker.

https://www.amazon.com/Lavalock-Nom...ocphy=9010777&hvtargid=pla-599173162244&psc=1

I've been having issues with KBB and long cooks I bought a good amount when it was on sale so I'm trying to to go through it before I buy anything else. Last year my New Year resolution was to no longer monitor internal temps of my barrel and I'm getting same results with so much less stress. Let the PBC do it's thing I'm a firm believer now

Last edited:
A few years ago I dropped a full back rib rack from the hook pulling through, and since I usually do 3 at a time decided I might as well cut them in half. I like it this way much better, since there's not as much weight but also I can pull the thinner halves off when they are ready and let the thicker parts go a little longer.

So net I've found I get better results and no crispy ends, though that rack I dropped I just pulled off the coals with a glove and it was still delicious :-o

And it's not like I can eat a full rack in one sitting anyway, so it's a bit of pre-packaging too :biggrin1:

Thanks for the response!

I'm assuming it is the same cook time but let me know if I am wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nBswB1_4aQ

I'm sure some of us have seen this vid on setting up the PBC for longer burn times. I pack my basket like his, but on the second top layer, I only make the outside ring against the walls of the basket, and I leave a big pit in the middle where I place a couple of chunks of wood, and fill it up with lump past the handle to make a hill/pyramid several inches above the handle. I use the lighter fluid method to get it going. I just use my fingers as hooks on the ends of the handle to lift it, and place it in the barrel.

Last night I started a basket this way for two pork shoulders, at about 1 am. It's been about 8 hours now, and this is my second time packing it this way, first time was for 4 plates of beef ribs, and they were dome within 6 hours so I didn't exactly follow the burn time. Two shoulders unwrapped should test this. I expect between 11-13 hours burn time.

Just took off the shoulders, PBC going strong at 280, it's been almost exactly 10 hours since I lit it.

This is the method I use for super long cooks. This cook, the coals lasted roughly 13-14 hours.

Picked up an 11.2# brisket today and need some advice as I’ve never done one before. Tips to prep, brine, trim, cook, wrap, etc. don’t want to screw this up so any advice is welcome.

Going to try something new this weekend and wanted some advice. I've had a lot of issues lately with KBB (seems that it's a common problem) so i'm planning to switch to Blues Hog Lump as my local butcher sells it. I've never used lump charcoal before so was hoping to get some advice/tips for using it with the PBC.

Also, my local butcher has their prime brisket on sale this week for $3.99# so i'm planning on picking one up and cooking it on Saturday. I've never done a brisket before (did a flat once with poor results) so any advice/tips for cooking the brisket on the PBC with the Blues Hog charcoal will be greatly appreciated. I do have some Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub that I was planning to use on the brisket.

Thanks for your help!

There are plenty of trimming vids online so I'd take a run at one of those. I get pretty aggressive on mine while others leave a lot more on. You make your move.

I hook it like the PBV vid says to do: get one that catches the point and the flat and then the second one linked to it for additional support. I generally trim/season it the night/day before so I don't have to screw with that and then setting up the smoker all at once. I've been using Black Ops regularly for a while now for the rub.

I usually get it around 170 IT and then wrap it in foil. This is maybe 5 to 5 1/2 hours for me. Around 195 - 200 IT I take it off. If I'm slicing, which I assume you are, tent it for a bit and then wrap her back up and in some towels and put in a cooler to let it rest. Longer the rest, the better it will be. Do an hour at least but more if you can. I generally pull my brisket so I don't tent it, wrap it in more foil, then into some towels and into the cooler.

It seems intimidating but it is real easy on the PBC. I hate the trimming part but that is the only real work. It's just like doing a pork butt pretty much, just more expensive so there is more pressure. You'll nail it.

Thanks for the response. Definitely intimidating so i'm a bit nervous.

I'm planning on using butcher paper when I wrap it. Once I pull i'm guessing I should tent it for about 20-30 mins then wrap it back in butcher paper and towels and throw it in the cooler. Does that should about right?

Brisket Cook

Decided to light up the PBC for a Hot n Fast Brisket cook...came out great!

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_074000.jpg
    IMG_20190423_074000.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20190423_082010.jpg
    IMG_20190423_082010.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20190423_162323.jpg
    IMG_20190423_162323.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20190423_163128.jpg
    IMG_20190423_163128.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_20190423_163133.jpg
    IMG_20190423_163133.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 349
Looks awesome! How did you get the barrel hotter than a normal low and slow run? Pull rebar KosmoQ style, light extra coals?

Exactly, I opened up the intake a bit more than usual and took the rebar out. Ran it at 380 for the majority of the cook. I did have to add fuel once, but that was due to 3 large chunks of Hickory I had added to the bottom of the fuel basket...took up a lot of coal space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pork Butt

Hi,

I don't have a PBS, but only due to cost of them in the UK, but built a UDS but as a poor man's PBS and only have rods and hooks to hang meet.

I did my first cook last week, a 4lb rack of spares which were amazing, the bark was unreal.

After a year of mucking around with ribs on a smoke n sear, I'm feeling brave enough to take on a pork butt then a brisket, but haven't a clue how best to hang them so they don't fall off!

The rack of spares last week I used two hefty hooks and counted two ribs down and it didn't go anywhere, but any advice for butt and/or brisket??

After a year of mucking around with ribs on a smoke n sear, I'm feeling brave enough to take on a pork butt then a brisket, but haven't a clue how best to hang them so they don't fall off!

Brisket is tough to begin with and hangs well. There is no limit to the amount of hooks you can use. Butt comes in three ways (generally) well butchered, poorly butchered, and boneless. If your butt is whole it should hang well but if you are worried (or it's been clumsily butchered) there is no reason why you can't part it and hang pieces. The upside is security of course but you also get more bark.

Country style ribs, in my area, are comprised of pork butt cut into rib-ish shapes and cooked individually. More bark, more flavor and less weight on a given hook.

A grill grate can be anything you can suspend above the fire. If you can build a UDS you are prequalified as a scrounger. Good cooking!

Great, thank you, that's really helpful, I guess time to just get in there and give it a go!!

Just wanted to try and avoid any obvious pitfalls! (Pun intended!)

I was considering "borrowing" the grate from the kettle but kinda wanted to play around with hanging stuff for a bit.

Also, for longer cooks, like for butt and brisket, do people cook indirect on a PBC or is that kind of against the principal??

Also, for longer cooks, like for butt and brisket, do people cook indirect on a PBC or is that kind of against the principal??

I am not sure what you mean by indirect but I will just say that the attraction of the PBC (and the UDS) is it's simplicity. If you are tinkerer, you will seldom make thing less complex.

I have a PBC and use it as built. My tinkering side went out and bought a used pellet grill that spent it formative years in a very bad place. I enjoy both but respect their strengths and weaknesses. I play rescue dad to the pellet grill but just stand back and admire the PBC for what it is, predictable.

Did tri-tip for only the second time and the first time in years. Two prime boys from Costco with great marbling. First one got the Carne Crosta and the second got Santa Maria, both from Oakridge. Took a mini-torch to them afterwards for a reverse sear. They were amazing and will lead me to do tri-tip much more often. So much better than my first time out where it was too rare and I did no type of searing afterwards.

Also did three racks of ribs and then 12 sausages and a grate's worth of chicken thighs. Had half of the basket still going strong once I was done maybe 8 hours in.

Attachments

• Carne Crosta.jpg
    Carne Crosta.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 236
  • Santa Maria.jpg
    Santa Maria.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Tri Tip Ribs.jpg
    Tri Tip Ribs.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 232
Thermapen overrated?

Exclusively for Pit Barrel customers! Hurry and grab the Thermapen® Mk4 special!

At the risk of being branded a heretic, my personal opinion on the Thermapen is that it is an overpriced under performer.

I tested mine and found it was off so I called them and they told me it could not be calibrated. I asked about a replacement and was told +/- 5 degrees was close enough.

While I do not disagree, +/- 5 is close enough - I believed $100 was supposed to buy a fast and accurate device.

I researched a little and the $22 "CDN ProAccurate Quick Read Thermometer" was fast, accurate, feature rich and could be calibrated. I have given them as gifts and no one has been disappointed.

I have the $25 ThermoPop. I tried the Signals and was disappointed so ended up with the Fireboard instead.

Back