My post was in jest but, in all honesty, the BHC should have its own dedicated thread as some tips and whatnot will have crossover appeal but they are different cookers, just like Hunsaker discussions shouldn't be in this thread and vice/versa. It's just cleaner that way and not an indictment of the BHC company.

As for what went down between them, I don't believe the evolution of the BHC was due to Noah's input as it seems he could have done these mods for his own cooker. He sells a hanging grate so he could choose to include it. Temp gauge, hinged lid etc...are not revelations. Probably adds costs that he didn't feel was necessary; however, the BHC guys needed to add more to their offering since it couldn't just be a straight PBC clone. They entered into a business agreement under false pretenses, obtained the proprietary information of Noah's and then set out to take his turf. They had access to the materials but didn't want to go through the R&D.

Before anyone mentions it is just a UDS and there really isn't proprietary information to be had, I get where you are coming from but credit to Noah for legally making it proprietary. This BHC/PBC thing was going down when I bought my PBC and, honestly, I saw the BHC afterwards and was bummed that the PBC didn't have all of the same features. That being said, I never would have bought one after reading up on everything but totally understand picking one up for under $100: especially that $45 price. I already mentioned that $45 would really test my resolve but they don't have any close enough for me to see if I'd go back on my word.

At the end of the day, I hope everyone who got one of these closeout deals cooks great food on it. I will definitely check out the BHC thread if it is created.

I'll let the mods decide what can be posted here. I'm frequently wrong from what I've been told.

I do understand the very valid point and recognized it from the moment I posted my bhc in this thread. Maybe it's that we're at almost 10,000 posts. Maybe it's that Bob and Andy dont seem to be posting alot. Maybe I'm just a douche canoe :fish2:

I'm not just flaunting the unwritten rule. The barrel house cooker has a unique relationship to the pit barrel. They were former business partners, I wonder if any of the "improvements" bhc made were based on information they obtained from Noah. If it was considered a licensing deal that both agreed on up front would this be viewed as more ok?

If the consensus is for me to not post any barrel house cooks in this thread that's fine, I'll still read it and make occasional comments on your guys' cooks and mods. The fact is $100 is my personal limit. I'm not the PBC's target customer. I'll never pay $300 for one and not because I think it's not worth it. The only way for me to enjoy the unique style of pit barrel cooking is to buy used, this closeout sale for the barrel house, or to build one based on the PBC design.

You clearly have put more thought into this than I have. I just like to stir the pot and duck.

:bolt::behindsofa:

Maybe a comprise. Make an exception for me as long as promise to keep my shots tight enough to not not show it's a barrel house. Then only the few of us that seen this post will no I'm a fraud.

Agreed?

Great now that it is settled mods please delete this post and any pertaining to the bhc in the last 2 pages.

And somebody get me a bigger canoe

:fish2::fish2:

Pit Barrel Cooker Chuck/Shoulder

I have a BBQ question if that is ok. Ha.

Does anyone hang their chuck/shoulder? Part of what fascinated me with the Pit Barrel Cooker was the fat hitting the hot coals.

My books are in storage but Smokestack Lightning: Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country by Lolis Eric Elie had a reference to a pitmaster that cooked over hardwood logs, hanging whole hogs in (what looked like) a real chimney with the front brickwork removed, retasked to be a bbq pit. The multiple hogs hung above the coals and dripped their juices onto the pile of charred logs smoldering beneath. It was magical.

I realize you don't have to hang, but it is a virtual nostalgia trip for me. I always wanted to have that experience. So far hanging meat has been very fruitful. I'm not suck on hanging, just wanted to know if other have tried.

Was time to do some bacon. 5 hours around 200 to an IT of 150-155 using cherry chunks.

jHS1Amd.jpg

2CcDlin.jpg

I have a BBQ question if that is ok. Ha.

Does anyone hang their chuck/shoulder? Part of what fascinated me with the Pit Barrel Cooker was the fat hitting the hot coals.

My books are in storage but Smokestack Lightning: Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country by Lolis Eric Elie had a reference to a pitmaster that cooked over hardwood logs, hanging whole hogs in (what looked like) a real chimney with the front brickwork removed, retasked to be a bbq pit. The multiple hogs hung above the coals and dripped their juices onto the pile of charred logs smoldering beneath. It was magical.

I realize you don't have to hang, but it is a virtual nostalgia trip for me. I always wanted to have that experience. So far hanging meat has been very fruitful. I'm not suck on hanging, just wanted to know if other have tried.

I’ve hung briskets and ribs and chickens. Most anything else. that can sit on the grate, does.

I'll let the mods decide what can be posted here. I'm frequently wrong from what I've been told.

Personally, I feel it's a PBC thread. BHC should be posted elsewhere.

I relent. the ninja's bhc siege of the pit barrel appreciation thread has come to an end. the 48 hrs reign of terror is over.

no need in starting a barrel house appreciation thread. I wouldn't want to be in a thread with a bunch of guys who appreciate that company. you PBC guys are way cooler. besides my phone wants to dangerously autocorrect bhc every time I type it. failure to fix the typo may get my thread moved to woodpile and we all kjow I'm good for a few types in every pist.

I relent. the ninja's bhc siege of the pit barrel appreciation thread has come to an end. the 48 hrs reign of terror is over.

no need in starting a barrel house appreciation thread. I wouldn't want to be in a thread with a bunch of guys who appreciate that company. you PBC guys are way cooler. besides my phone wants to dangerously autocorrect bhc every time I type it. failure to fix the typo may get my thread moved to woodpile and we all kjow I'm good for a few types in every pist.

My phone constantly wants to type PBS instead of PBC but it's slowly learning

Pete - fantastic. What are the next steps in your process?

I vacuum seal each piece and let it sit in the fridge for at least a week to "mellow" out and let the flavors work through. Not sure if it makes a difference past a day or two, but it helps me sleep at night. Then slice and vacuum seal them into "serving" size packages and into the freezer they go. My foodsaver is my best friend :becky::becky:

I use this recipe and added fenugreek seeds to add maple flavoring: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-bacon/

I cure now in big 5 gallon ziplocks I get on Amazon, but have cut the belly in 3 and used normal one gallons. It just adds to the math/cure calculations and measurements you have to do. This was an 8 day cure with flipping/shaking every day. Then took it out of the bag, rinsed, and into the fridge for 24 hours on a rack. Then smoked for 5 hours on the PBC using half of a basket of charcoal/cherry chunks with the vent closed or close too it. In the summer I may use a little less charcoal , but since it was in the twenties I used more. I buy bellies at Costco and get them as close to 9 lbs as possible since the recipe is for 3lb pieces, then slice into three even pieces. Cook to 150-155.

@IamMadMan has posted some great info on this forum about bacon curing. You can learn a lot from him.

Back