Thank you again for all that contributed to this. You made this old man look like a super star! I was hoping for some left for chicken salad. Guess I’ll have to cook some secretly for that! Ironically we got a pork butt from a church fundraiser yesterday and that will be my sandwiches for work this week I’m afraid!
I wasn’t happy with the current little KBB brickettes, so have already bought 2 bags of Stubbs. Have a brisket from the last cow we got and can’t wait to see what I can do with it. Loving the set and forget. So easy even this caveman can do it.
Which imaging site is quick and easy for tagging pics to this forum?

I got some venison from a neighbor tonight. The piece came from its back leg and is a roast so I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for throwing this in the PBC.

I’ve never cooked this before so any thoughts on seasoning, cooking, etc would be great.

I got some venison from a neighbor tonight. The piece came from its back leg and is a roast so I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for throwing this in the PBC.

I’ve never cooked this before so any thoughts on seasoning, cooking, etc would be great.

Never done that before but I wonder if it would cook similar to a lamb leg? I believe ssv3 has done a lamb leg in the PBC a while back. If you dig through the thread you might find it. Or PM Sako (ssv3) and ask him.
Good luck!

Has anyone ever been able to do shoulder clod on the PBC. Seems like a very large cut to fit. But maybe cutting it in half?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Funny you should ask.

A beef shoulder clod of about 18.4 pounds.
IMG_2588_zps0olk0rqr.jpg

IMG_2591_zps3jwbr9e7.jpg

IMG_2589_zpsutcn68ox.jpg

I had no idea how to cook it, as I read several conflicting methods. So I took it to around 198 I believe, as this cook was about 7 or so months ago. I have more pics, but I'll spread them out.

I have to say the PBC is one of the best things I have ever bought/used.

ENJOY!!

Long burn times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nBswB1_4aQ

I'm sure some of us have seen this vid on setting up the PBC for longer burn times. I pack my basket like his, but on the second top layer, I only make the outside ring against the walls of the basket, and I leave a big pit in the middle where I place a couple of chunks of wood, and fill it up with lump past the handle to make a hill/pyramid several inches above the handle. I use the lighter fluid method to get it going. I just use my fingers as hooks on the ends of the handle to lift it, and place it in the barrel.

Last night I started a basket this way for two pork shoulders, at about 1 am. It's been about 8 hours now, and this is my second time packing it this way, first time was for 4 plates of beef ribs, and they were dome within 6 hours so I didn't exactly follow the burn time. Two shoulders unwrapped should test this. I expect between 11-13 hours burn time.

Just took off the shoulders, PBC going strong at 280, it's been almost exactly 10 hours since I lit it.

Last edited:
Mixing it up today and doing a "low and slow" cook on the PBC. Two racks of St. Louis Ribs. One with our sweet competition rub and the other with just salt and fresh cracked pepper. I haven't cooked anything below 300 in several years, so we will see how things go at 225. In progress.
bZrwgPZl.jpg

At the 2 hour mark:
j8bpHFql.jpg

At the 4 hour mark:
Oizl3qDl.jpg

KCO7yYzl.jpg

UBZzl0Ol.jpg

HKHJTM2l.jpg

LaS1EO5l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This experiment turned out amazing. Pulled the round at 139* and let it stand for a couple of hours before slicing. Mixed oak chips throughout the charcoal and the meat has a very smoky flavor but is not bitter at all. The rub was just Montreal Steak seasoning that I let sit overnight. The PBC comes through again.

Attachments

• 71A4CD9E-B0E0-4793-8AB4-7CF7EEF71F6C.jpg
    71A4CD9E-B0E0-4793-8AB4-7CF7EEF71F6C.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 356
  • CC409B4B-D108-4E2C-AB48-BEA8877B7C01.jpg
    CC409B4B-D108-4E2C-AB48-BEA8877B7C01.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 360
This experiment turned out amazing. Pulled the round at 139* and let it stand for a couple of hours before slicing. Mixed oak chips throughout the charcoal and the meat has a very smoky flavor but is not bitter at all. The rub was just Montreal Steak seasoning that I let sit overnight. The PBC comes through again.

I am doing my first one right now, I hope it turns out that good.

I am doing my first one right now, I hope it turns out that good.

I don’t see how it can’t. The PBC averaged about 300* for the cook and all I did was yardwork until my temp alarm on the meat went off. Never even peeked.

Don't know exactly how long my basket burned for, but at the 11.5/12 hour mark it was in the high 260's. I had company over so I forgot about it. Don't think it was a stretch to think it was burning away at the 13/14 hour mark.

Anybody ever halved a turkey and cooked it in the PBC? I don’t have the Turkey hanger and I’ve gotta cook it and transport it 5 hours away. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody ever halved a turkey and cooked it in the PBC? I don’t have the Turkey hanger and I’ve gotta cook it and transport it 5 hours away. Any suggestions?

Don't necessarily need the turkey hanger. Here's an old video from the PBC channel where they cooked turkey before they made the special hanger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZHIJ6IilCg

Anyway, this week was my mom's birthday, and instead of going out she wanted me to cook BBQ for her. So it'll be my parents, my wife's parents, and the two of us for dinner. So, I'm cooking a slab of spareribs and four chickens in the PBC today...for six people. :) I'm halving three of the chickens, with the fourth chicken being cooked whole for the meat for later (any leftover chicken will go into chicken enchilada casserole tomorrow). Also using the Big Green Egg to make some armadillo eggs and smoked mac-n-cheese (Malcolm Reed's recipe).

Back