THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Agree on getting the ribs out of there if you are going to ratchet up temps for the skin.

In all honesty, for a first run, I'd probably just not worry about the skin and keep everything running smoothly. You'll get the idea of how juicy and great the chicken is and you can play around more with it on future cooks for getting that skin crispier.

Thanks guys! Now I just need to find a rub that’s more to my family’s liking. All the packaged stuff at our local grocer is too spicy. I got much better smoke flavor this time using chunks instead of chips (cherry and hickory).

No therm on the pit was oddly freeing.

Thanks guys! Now I just need to find a rub that’s more to my family’s liking. All the packaged stuff at our local grocer is too spicy. I got much better smoke flavor this time using chunks instead of chips (cherry and hickory).

This is good on chicken, and is available everywhere.
4ad20f3a-3bce-4b62-afb1-d791a5d91958_1.b98a8883d0c2d70cf680dd224a9853da.jpeg

Nice job on the cook! Lots of folks swear by Plowboy's Yardbird rub. It is killer on wings, for sure. Maybe a little pricey for a whole bird.

With pork loin at $1.59 lb. at my local Schnucks supermarket and temperatures close to 60 degrees today it only made sense to give the PBC its first cook of 2018!

Started with a 5 pound roast

Rubbed with some PBC All Purpose Rub that I picked up on sale at St. Louis BBQ Store

Double hooked it, pulled it at about 145 degrees and let is rest for 10 minutes. Nice and juicy and had a real nice and mild smoky flavor. Can do with a few more warm days like this.

Did individual YUGE tyrannosaurus (beef) ribs today for the first time. Hung them individually by hook (because I bought them that way and didn't want to set them on the rack). Set the temp for 225, pulled them to coat with BBQ sauce after 3 hours, and let 'em hang for another 30 minutes. They were awesome. I used some of the PBC beef rub that came with the PBC and I think for next time I won't use that.

Any suggestions for a good beef rub?

Did individual YUGE tyrannosaurus (beef) ribs today for the first time. Hung them individually by hook (because I bought them that way and didn't want to set them on the rack). Set the temp for 225, pulled them to coat with BBQ sauce after 3 hours, and let 'em hang for another 30 minutes. They were awesome. I used some of the PBC beef rub that came with the PBC and I think for next time I won't use that.

Any suggestions for a good beef rub?

I typically use the PBC beef and game rub on beef. But I like salty rubs. Was there something you didn't like about the flavor of the rub?

Last edited:
Back