THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think one of the cool things about the PBC is that it can cook larger cuts faster than other smokers without it being dry and whatnot.

Still, an unwrapped 12 pound brisket to completion in 8 hours seems ambitious, even for the PBC. At least from my experience but, of course, your experience may vary.

After trimming, I doubt it weighs 10. I originally said that I was worried about it getting too dark. How long would you guys leave it alone before wrapping?

i don't even monitor pit temp. if i wanted to monitor the temp, i would have gotten a UDS or WSM. isn't one of the main selling points of the PBC not worrying about the temps?

if your food is turning out awesome and meeting your expectations, do the temps even matter?

i don't even monitor pit temp. if i wanted to monitor the temp, i would have gotten a UDS or WSM. isn't one of the main selling points of the PBC not worrying about the temps?

if your food is turning out awesome and meeting your expectations, do the temps even matter?

That's one of the selling points and you will find guys here who do just that. I use a maverick and remotely monitor and adjust the temps. No question for things like pork butt or ribs you can get away with however it run so. I have found that there are certain foods that have a better taste or texture with a specific temp....like salmon.

You'll also find guys with a PartyQ or digi setup who manage it that way.

That's one of the selling points and you will find guys here who do just that. I use a maverick and remotely monitor and adjust the temps. No question for things like pork butt or ribs you can get away with however it run so. I have found that there are certain foods that have a better taste or texture with a specific temp....like salmon.

You'll also find guys with a PartyQ or digi setup who manage it that way.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]i understand that. i'm just saying that if you wanted a cooker with more temp control in mind. this probably isn't the right cooker for you. otherwise, the PBC would have more conventional adjustments like a non fixed bottom heat baffle and maybe an adjustable chimney up top, and even a heat diffuser. if you want it to behave more like a regular vertical smoker or UDS, you probably should have gotten a regular vertical smoker or UDS.[/FONT]

OK, here's my report on my inaugural PBC brisket. Put it on at 6:15. As luck would have it, I was able to dash home at 11:15 to check it. Nice color, 163 degrees, so I went ahead and wrapped it. Got home at 5:30, and the coals had burned out completely. It didn't feel tender and the temp was 177. I don't know if it was higher and cooled down or it never got higher. I suspect the former. Chunked it in the oven for and hour, then turned the oven off for a rest. The results: Slightly overdone and a little dry on the flat. Good flavor, but a skosh too much smoke. Didn't try any burnt ends, and I am hoping the point will be more moist. The family oohed and aahed over it, though, and I gave my neighbor (who is the cook at a Q restaurant) a sample and he said it was on point. I have made better brisket on my WSM, but the idea that you can start one and eat it on the same day is pretty awesome!

OK, here's my report on my inaugural PBC brisket. Put it on at 6:15. As luck would have it, I was able to dash home at 11:15 to check it. Nice color, 163 degrees, so I went ahead and wrapped it. Got home at 5:30, and the coals had burned out completely. It didn't feel tender and the temp was 177. I don't know if it was higher and cooled down or it never got higher. I suspect the former. Chunked it in the oven for and hour, then turned the oven off for a rest. The results: Slightly overdone and a little dry on the flat. Good flavor, but a skosh too much smoke. Didn't try any burnt ends, and I am hoping the point will be more moist. The family oohed and aahed over it, though, and I gave my neighbor (who is the cook at a Q restaurant) a sample and he said it was on point. I have made better brisket on my WSM, but the idea that you can start one and eat it on the same day is pretty awesome!

This was my main concern: the fire would burn out on you.

Good thing is that you were pretty much right on time with the 163 degrees at five hours. If you didn't have to leave, you would of been able to pull the wrapped brisket at the appropriate time and hold it for a bit so it seems like you have the temp where it needs to be.

My first one was dry too and I didn't have the excuse of leaving the house, just too much Eagle Rare! I'm sure your next one will be more to your liking. It's so easy to "correct" your process from cook to cook with the PBC.

And get us a picture next time! :thumb:

Been a while since I posted, and I see I've missed some pretty amazing cooks by Team PBC! Fired up the PBC today, nothing outrageous or special, just some chicken quarters that needed to feel the fire!

dusted_zpsh5sldp6y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Dusted with PBC All Purpose and ready to go...

Hanging in there at 270F

Done with a little Sweet Baby Rays on the glaze...

And a simple dinner for a simple Sunday cook!

Simple pork butt smoke on Saturday. Two 7 lb'ers. Rubbed with Blues Hog. Pecan and White Oak chunks. In the PBC and on the grate at 10:15. Pulled to wrap at 5:15 and then back in the smoker for two hours. Wrapped again and held for an hour and half for a 10 1/2 hour total time from PBC to shredding. Delicious. Tossed some of the pork with Stubbs Green Chile sauce (great with pork if you have never tried it) and made a quesadilla.

Would maybe take it off to hold at 195 instead of over 200. I'm letting it sit through the stall longer before wrapping it when it hits 165. Been getting better results this way with the bone just falling out each time. Love doing pork butts in this thing...so little checking in on it needed.

Last edited:
Back