Pinto beans discovery

We ate a lot of beans growing up. Lots. 4 kids one income Dad worked shift while attending college in Talequah OK. Beans and hamburger. Garden veggies. A trip to the store was pretty simple. Bread butter flour sugar Fritos. Out of hamburger?
Any meal you make with hamburger you can make with beans. You’re only limited by your imagination. MSU:-D

LOL..............I spent a year in college at Tahlequah in 1967/68......cut a lot of classes playing bridge in the student union......

I would just make regular ol southern cali chicano style beans. Put a little bacon some onions and garlic some cumin. Salt and pepper to taste and your'e golden. You can mash em up and fry them the next day make tostadas or something too.

Can't add too much, other than I like to add a fresh jalapeno or two to pinto bean soup. Got the idea from Trappey's Jalapinto beans. Yum.

Trappey’s some of best canned goods out there. Occasionally I could find a spiced okra/tomato add shrimps and pour over rice. Haven’t seen it in a while.
I look anyway. Had Trappey’s black eye peas with snaps 01-01-2021 Day.
Not mush. Pea integrity

Interesting recipes in this thread. At my house we keep it simple:

1 lb dry pintos (no need to soak)
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
8 cups water

Crock pot low 7 to 10 hours

If you have a ham bone or hock throw it in, but it's not necessary. What is necessary is a good pan of cornbread to eat with it.

This recipe makes pintos with a lot of "broth" that eats like a hearty soup. One of my favorite cold weather meals.

Since I am from Kentucky I am a big fan of pinto beans slow cooked with a ham hock.
Do a cast iron fried cornbread with it as well.
crumble the corn bread up pour the pinto beans on top and add some raw diced onions and hot sauce.
Maybe a side of thick cut pork chop.

You could slow cook a shoe with a ham hock and it would taste good! This is probably the #1 thing I would do with pinto's. Highly recommended.

Back