THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So is there a alternative to "Pink Salt", the curing one.... My wife is allergic to Sodium Nitrate.

I have a German Sausage Maker/Butcher/Store that sells me some when needed. First i ordered in on Amazon, wife though something was wrong with it and tossed it.

My wife is allergic to Sodium Nitrate.

Given that nitrates and nitrites are in a hell of a lot of food (basically anything that grows out of the ground) I'd imagine that may not be the case... If she can eat celery or spinach, she's not allergic

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of people confuse pink curing salt with pink (Himalayan) salt. That can cause a few cases of food poisoning.

Be safe out there and understand the difference.

Has anyone tried to dilute pink salt in a spray bottle and spray lightly on meats to get a little smoke ring?

I read about people rubbing or sprinkling but that may be too strong since the sodium nitrate % is high vs. TQ.

Has anyone tried to dilute pink salt in a spray bottle and spray lightly on meats to get a little smoke ring?

I read about people rubbing or sprinkling but that may be too strong since the sodium nitrate % is high vs. TQ.

Some have used Sodium Nitrite with Sodium Erythorbate mixed in their rub to produce a faux smoke ring. The Sodium Erythorbate accelerates and enhances the nitrite curing reaction and maintains the color brightness to produce a great smoke ring.

As you indicated the safety concern would be the proper amount used.

I believe, although the judges do marvel over smoke rings, it is no longer a judging criteria, but I could be mistaken? I haven't been in a competition since 2008.

Just use mortons tender quick ... You can get it at any grocery store. Put it on the meat for 5-10 min, then rinse it off... BAM

Back