Pho

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
Used the smoked chicken today to make a version of Mikes pho recipe he sent. BTW, thanks so much for this. I tweaked a few things and made a mistake or two along the way. I didn’t have any chicken stock, so I used the better than bouillon chicken base and a couple tablespoons of bacon grease. 8 cups of water, 6 teaspoons of bouillon, 2 teaspoons of bacon grease, and 2 teaspoons of Saigon 21 seasoning. Simmered for about an hour. Chicken was rubbed with Saigon and smoked. After smoking chicken, pulled skin and fried to crisp it up. Swapped noodles out for glass noodles. Smoking the chicken with the seasoning added a nice depth of flavor versus just boiling it. We really liked it. Better than bouillon seasoning was way too salty, though. Even cutting the amount back versus the bouillon recipe caused it to be salty. Not un-eatable salty, but definitely wouldn’t do again. I’ll definitely get the no salt stock next time. We loved the glass noodles. It absorbs the stock nicely. Worth the substitution. Fried skin on top added a really nice texture. Adjust for the salt, and everyone agreed it was super delicious!!

Last edited:
What the fark is pho? Some kinda soup or something? Like Ramen? I am really not into niese foods so just asking.I am sure I would like it if I tried it but it seems a long way from meat and potatoes.Just askin.I have tried chicken fried rice and it was good.

What the fark is pho? Some kinda soup or something? Like Ramen? I am really not into niese foods so just asking.I am sure I would like it if I tried it but it seems a long way from meat and potatoes.Just askin.I have tried chicken fried rice and it was good.

It’s an Asian chicken noodle soup. I smoked the chicken to add a depth of flavor. It’s pretty good for sure.

Pho is Vietnamese beef noodle soup and in my opinion the best soup in the world. In my world, gumbo is not considered a soup, just in case anyone wants to know.

And that looks well done. I have never been brave enough to try my own.

It's Vietnamese noodle soup. It's IMO better than ramen or just about any noodle soup. You owe it to yourself to find pho restaurant and try it. You're missing out big time if you never had it. It's one of the world's truly great noodle soup. It will change your life and your outlook of the world.

It’s an Asian chicken noodle soup. I smoked the chicken to add a depth of flavor. It’s pretty good for sure.

It's most commonly beef and it is Vietnamese.

Crystal clear light beef bone broth, heavy ginger and other aromatic spices (star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, often fennel and/or thai basil for extra anise). Ladeled over rice noodles and very thinly sliced pieces of raw tender beef (often filet) so that it cooks in the individual serving bowl. Garnish with limes, cilantro, thai basil, chopped chiles, and more fish sauce.

Sounds really good, but I'm not sure if I would call that pho- the smoke would change the flavor profile completely. Raw pork belly isn't too unusual, though.

Smoked chicken glass noodle soup

It's most commonly beef and it is Vietnamese.

Crystal clear light beef bone broth, heavy ginger and other aromatic spices (star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, often fennel and/or thai basil for extra anise). Ladeled over rice noodles and very thinly sliced pieces of raw tender beef (often filet) so that it cooks in the individual serving bowl. Garnish with limes, cilantro, thai basil, chopped chiles, and more fish sauce.

Sounds really good, but I'm not sure if I would call that pho- the smoke would change the flavor profile completely. Raw pork belly isn't too unusual, though.

So by your logic, any time the flavor profile is changed or ingredients are swapped out for something else, you rename all your dishes to keep the integrity of the “original” recipe? I’m not that creative to rename all my dishes because I play around with flavor profiles all the time.

Last edited:
Back