THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicagokp, that is an excellent cook I love the char on the chicken. :hungry:

So peri peri is not well known there?

Buccs, Piri Piri is very well known in my house your spice mix looks very interesting to me. I make my marinade a little different but I'd bet the flavor profiles are very similar.

I'm only used to the liquid form but here's a simple recipe: http://leitesculinaria.com/7745/recipes-portuguese-piri-piri-hot-sauce.html

Phu that is a great recipe you posted, the island where I'm from calls it Malagueta probably because of the size of the pepper used. When we moved to the states you couldn't buy it here so the family had to make our own, we use Anaheim chili's and normally wouldn't add the garlic for long storage. I use it for just about everything I cook as well as my Piri Piri marinade.

I just bought a new grill and was planing to break it in with some Piri Piri chicken thighs this weekend. You guys must have read my mind. They say great minds think alike, but every once in a while I also think the same thing. :becky:

Chicagokp, that is an excellent cook I love the char on the chicken. :hungry:

Buccs, Piri Piri is very well known in my house your spice mix looks very interesting to me. I make my marinade a little different but I'd bet the flavor profiles are very similar.

Phu that is a great recipe you posted, the island where I'm from calls it Malagueta probably because of the size of the pepper used. When we moved to the states you couldn't buy it here so the family had to make our own, we use Anaheim chili's and normally wouldn't add the garlic for long storage. I use it for just about everything I cook as well as my Piri Piri marinade.

I just bought a new grill and was planing to break it in with some Piri Piri chicken thighs this weekend. You guys must have read my mind. They say great minds think alike, but every once in a while I also think the same thing. :becky:

So, you're gonna do a proper cook thread with step by step instructions specifically on how you make your Peri Peri? :becky::becky::becky:

I think this is the same stuff available from Penzeys Spices:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysperiperi.html
Will work for bbq:
Buccs, Piri Piri is very well known in my house your spice mix looks very interesting to me. I make my marinade a little different but I'd bet the flavor profiles are very similar.[/QUOTE]
It is a simple one so I am sure they would be the same.
I sent a commercial one to Kirk because I didn't want to risk any customs drama.

Phubes, that is the simplest form and works like a charm, also true that it is known as Portuguese but actually migrated from Africa.
The story of so many countries dishes eh?:wink:

So, you're gonna do a proper cook thread with step by step instructions specifically on how you make your Peri Peri? :becky::becky::becky:
Fark, I'm being railroaded!!
:wacko:
Okay, I'll do my tarted up restaurant version of Peri Peri Chook then, and make a thread.
No kindness ever goes unpunished...farkin farkanaughts.

:rolleyes:

Malagueta

Okay, I'll do my tarted up restaurant version of Peri Peri Chook then, and make a thread. :rolleyes:

:pop2: I cant wait. :becky:

I'm going to go ahead and do one as well although I'm not sure how proper it will be.

Phubes, that is the simplest form and works like a charm, also true that it is known as Portuguese but actually migrated from Africa.
The story of so many countries dishes eh?:wink:

True the Piri Piri pepper originated in Africa, the Portuguese people set up colonies in Asia, Africa and the Americas and were know for trading Spices and other culinary ingredients between their colonies as well as places in between their travels. I was talking with my uncle on fathers day when the subject of who's chicken was better, he claimed his was and before he could say anything else I asked him if it was Piri Piri. He was shocked and told me that he learned how to make it when he was in the Portuguese army in Namibia, his recipe was a lot simpler than mine but similar.

Okay, I'll do my tarted up restaurant version of Peri Peri Chook then, and make a thread.
No kindness ever goes unpunished...farkin farkanaughts.

:rolleyes:

I'm going to go ahead and do one as well although I'm not sure how proper it will be.

Game on! :boxing: Maybe we need a Peri Peri throwdown. Or is it Piri Piri! Looking forward to seeing both!

Wow, that looks great and what color on the chicken. I thought Peri-peri was hot stuff, you are saying it needs more.

So, I'll admit, I didn't go whole hog with adding in crushed red pepper flake. These were the instructions I got from Bucc's. So I obviously needed more heat from what I did just to mix everything up.....

Put it (TBS)in a saucepan with some EVOO, white wine vinegar, oregano, chili flakes and butter and simmer and cool.
Pour and massage into chicken pieces in a plastic bag and let sit in the fridge.
Grill.
Or, butter and peri peri over whole bird for the other way I have used it.

I'm sure I farked it up to some degree.

Game on! :boxing: Maybe we need a Peri Peri throwdown. Or is it Piri Piri! Looking forward to seeing both!

I'm Portuguese so it will always be Piri Piri to me, but Peri Peri is also correct.

Wow, that looks great and what color on the chicken. I thought Peri-peri was hot stuff, you are saying it needs more.

The Piri Piri pepper (African bird's eye chili) is hot 50,000 - 175,000 on the scoville scale.

I knew you had oregano in the States, and it's delicious , but I use bay powder more often.
Can you get that too?

You can get bay powder around here, but its usually not very good. Best way is to get some Laurel Leaves (which are bay leaves) in the Mexican spice aisle of the grocery store and grind 'em down in a spice/coffee grinder yourself.

Back