THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HunkyDory

Full Fledged Farker
I wanted to do pepper stout beef today. We had a 3 lb bottom round roast that needed to be used. All I have read is that round a jerky or crock pot cut but I wanted to do a side by side test with round and chuck just to see what results I would get.

round.jpg

The round had a hefty fat slab which I cut off

round_trimmed.jpg

The 2 1/4 lb Chuck had less fat on it but I trimmed it clean too.

chuck.jpg

SPOG and in the smoke with them both for three hours

insmoke.jpg

At three hours with about 150 internal temp I put them in a pan together with peppers, onions, a small can of diced mild chilis and two bottles of stout. I covered it and came back 3 hours later.

pan.jpg

I had been running the cooker at 275 and the liquid had reduced quite a lot so I added another bottle of stout. I flipped the cuts over an cooked for another hour until they were both pulling with a fork. In the photo below the chuck is on the left and the round is on the right. I could tell a difference in texture while pulling (the round was drier) but they both looked fine after mixing with the cooked down liquid and peppers.

pulled.jpg

I had my wife taste test without knowing which was which. She liked the round better. I think I liked the chuck better but then I knew which was which. In the plated picture the chuck is on the left and the round is on the right.

plate.jpg

Anyway my belly is full and I have a bunch of leftovers.
Thanks for tuning in.

Looks fantastic Hunky! Thanks for the reportage. Both look delicious from here!:grin:

Back