THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EZQue took first in People's Choice. To be honest, I dont remember anything after putting that shiny new smoker and trophy in the back of our truck! Thanks everyone! We'll definitely see you all around at upcoming events.

Gary
Team EZCue

EZQue took first in People's Choice. To be honest, I dont remember anything after putting that shiny new smoker and trophy in the back of our truck! Thanks everyone! We'll definitely see you all around at upcoming events.

Gary
Team EZCue

congrats. Your euphoric fist pumps and leaps into the air at the announcement said it all.

Someone just drove past me on hempstead tpke in a black suburban with smoker in tow. Moving a little fast eh? Shoulda pulled you over and asked your brethren username ha

Sent from my DROIDX

We had a great time. The weather was perfect!
The company was great, too.
WE want to thank Sal and the rest of the guys from Hicksville Fire Department for putting on a great event. We hope you (and we) do it again next year.
We also wanted to congratulate all of the winners! The ribs were fantastic!

And...to whoever took two rolls of aluminum foil from our site when we were out socializing with the other teams...you didn't need to help yourself to it. We would have given it to you, all you needed to do was ask.

We hope to see you all again, soon!

-Chuck

It was a great day! Finally an event with no rain! Thank you to the grillbillies for once again being a good neighbor and for saving us when we ran out of red cups! ;-)

~Grill scouts

I just wanted to thank Sal and all of the guys from the Hicksville FD for putting together a great event.
I also want to thank all of the teams that competed in this event.
I hope this is an event that we can build on and grow into an annual competition.

Congrats to Smokin Aces on the Grand Champion of the judged portion.
Congrats to EZ Cue on their 1st place in the People Choice portion.

Grill teams compete for best BBQ in Hicksville
Saturday September 17, 2011 5:51 PM By T.C. McCarthy
The Hicksville Fire Department Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4 held its first annual barbecue competition and car show at the Hicksville Fire Department Station 3 on West John Street, with a portion of the proceeds benefitting the Nassau County Fire Fighters Burn Center. Videojournalist: T.C. McCarthy (Sept. 17, 2011)
Frank Pascuzzi moved his glasses to the tip of his nose so he could read the digital display on his meat thermometer. Perfect -- 168 degrees.
The 52-year-old Copaigue man’s red suspenders and snow-white hair rested on his shoulders as he cut the fat from a rack of ribs. He worked fiercely to get the next rack basted so that*he could throw it on the grill. Then he handed cookies to the line of children that kept forming at the helm.
“For years Mrs. Claus and I have been barbecuing up at the North Pole,” he said. “I figured I would come down and share a little bit of North Pole barbecue.”
More: newsday.com/hicksville
On Twitter: @tc_mccarthy | @LI_Now
The year-round professional Santa Claus volunteered with the Grillscouts, one of 12 grill teams competing in the Hicksville Fire Department Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4’s inaugural BBQ Cook-Off and Car Show. Pascuzzi showcased his new North Pole-styled ribs, which he described as sweet while the meat stays on the bone.
Huntington’s Michael Diaz, of Mike’s Backyard grill team, was also on hand cooking up his traditional ribs.
“We’re all about community and giving back,” Diaz said. “When we heard about this, we thought, ‘What better way [to] help out the community.’”
The event was organized by Greg Doerflein and Brian Quinn of the Hicksville Fire Department’s Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4. Proceeds from the cook-off will go to the fire company; donations from the car show will go to the Nassau County Fire Fighters Burn Center.
“We wanted to do something to get the community together and just have a great Saturday afternoon,” Doerflein said.
He and Quinn worked for about 10 months on the event. The crowd of about 150 people offered compliments for all of the grill teams. The contest was divided into two categories -- crowd favorite and the professional judge’s favorite. Shirley's EZQ took top honors as the crowd's favorite, while the judges'*favorite was*Wantaugh's Smokin' Aces.
“What’s more American than a good old-fashioned classic car show?” Doerflein asked.
Photo: Frank Pascuzzi, a year-round professional Santa Claus from Copaigue,*grills meat at the Hicksville Fire Department Volunteer Hose Co. No. 4’s inaugural cook-off and car show. (Sept. 17, 2011)

So, what are the judges looking for in the rib events? We wanted to make sure we gave them "perfect" ribs so we pulled 3 from one of the first racks we took off the smoker that looked perfect but I think that since we had to serve them to the judges about an hour later they may have gotten a little dried out when we threw them back on the grill to warm up before turning them in.

In this contest they were looking for Taste, Texture and Visuals. The ribs were given a score in each, the scores were totaled and a tie breaker of a 1-100 overall opinion was used if necessary (which I don't think it was).

If you're asking in a larger sense, like what do judges like, it's pretty much the same as any other contest.

Eric

So, what are the judges looking for in the rib events? We wanted to make sure we gave them "perfect" ribs so we pulled 3 from one of the first racks we took off the smoker that looked perfect but I think that since we had to serve them to the judges about an hour later they may have gotten a little dried out when we threw them back on the grill to warm up before turning them in.

According to jacked up they are looking for a wasabi glaze

Hey, I need some quick info for Newday. I need to find out who came in 2nd and 3rd in the people's choice and I need someone to confirm the positions of the judged.

Thanks!

Peoples Choice

1st EZ Cue

Judged

1st Smokin' Aces
2nd Babylon Grillbillies
3rd Grill Scouts

Hey, I need some quick info for Newday. I need to find out who came in 2nd and 3rd in the people's choice and I need someone to confirm the positions of the judged.

Thanks!

Peoples Choice

1st EZ Cue

Judged

1st Smokin' Aces
2nd Babylon Grillbillies
3rd Grill Scouts

The Smoke 'N Barrel came in 2nd in people's choice.
I think Smokin Irish came in 3rd, but not positive.

The Smoke 'N Barrel came in 2nd in people's choice.
I think Smokin Irish came in 3rd, but not positive.

:wave:

Smoking Irish and Mike's Backyard tied -

the luck of the Irish ran out in with the drawing of straws.

While we took the trophy and prize, I am more that happy if Newsday reported both teams as tied for third.

Back