Pellet Grill Recommendations

jdolor

Knows what a fatty is.
I've had a few pellet smokers -

Yoder YS640
GMG Davy Crockett
Camp Chef Woodwind (Still have)

I also have the very infamous Weber Smokefire.

Well as most of you know the Smokefire is basically a POS. I bought it the larger one because I wanted the room. Seemed pretty nice at 36" wide. It constantly let's me down and I think I'll make a planter out of it.

So here's my question -

I'm looking for a pellet smoker around the same size, 36" wide. It needs to have at least one upper shelf. I've been looking at the Traeger Timberline 1300 and a few others. My budget is under 3K or so. If it can grill as well, that would definitely be a plus. I have my Outlaw stick burner for larger smokes but I'm looking for something that's quick and easy and RELIABLE.

Thoughts?

I really want the first grate width. Would love to have a 3 Star. Just out of reach though.

I have a MAK 2 star. IMO I am tired of the mechanical pellet smokers. I mean it is good for a quick burger or to sear a steak, but I am looking to replace it with a Komado grill. I will also mention that food on the pellet is cooked, but it does not have that deep smoked flavor like a charcoal or stick burner. I still like the concept and I like the grill, but just looking to change it up this summer. What I really want is the Assassin 36”

Honestly, I want it for quick cooks during the week and for smoking when it's crappy outside. Feeding a stick burner in the rain and cold is over rated. Granted, it tastes better but no one notices that in January. During the summer, it's the Outlaw all the way.

Honestly, I want it for quick cooks during the week and for smoking when it's crappy outside. Feeding a stick burner in the rain and cold is over rated. Granted, it tastes better but no one notices that in January. During the summer, it's the Outlaw all the way.
Oh yeah, sorry if I was coming off dicky. What you said is exactly what I like about them. I am just fed up with mine. Honestly, I would get that new Weber Smoke fire. They did allot of testing and for a grand it is hard to beat. Babyback Manic has done some reviews with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRSdgBebvLY

Not 36” wide but the MAK 2 Star has plenty of space given the upper racks.
This would be my vote as well and get the full upper grates. Made in USA too. If 36" wide is an absolute, maybe hold off until a Three-Star could be a possibility.

36" is pretty damn big for weekday quick-cooks. Takes more fuel to feed that space.

Have you looked at Blaz'n Grill Works in Beatrice, Nebraska? They make a pellet grill that has a cooking surface - 36 x19.5.

If it fits the budget, another high recommendation for the 2 Star. I cook for no less than 9 every time I fire it up, and no issues with size at all.

For a 36" Smokin Brothers Premier Plus 36", Pitts & Spitts 1250 and the Assassin Pellet Grill.

I just bought and put together a z grills 1000D and I love it I have grilled steaks and burgers on it. I’m doing my first longer cook on it Monday doing a pork loin. Z grills was the manufacture for Traeger so it’s basically a knock off of Traeger. It has 1000 sq in cooking space was easy to assemble and cane with a free cover.

I have a MAK 2 star. IMO I am tired of the mechanical pellet smokers. I mean it is good for a quick burger or to sear a steak, but I am looking to replace it with a Komado grill. I will also mention that food on the pellet is cooked, but it does not have that deep smoked flavor like a charcoal or stick burner. I still like the concept and I like the grill, but just looking to change it up this summer. What I really want is the Assassin 36”

What? Ok - all credibility for anything life related is lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have MAK2 and a Primo. The MAK produces just as much, if not more smoke flavor than the Primo. If you can stretch that budget, buy once, get the MAK3.

I just did 40 chicken thighs on my MAK 2⭐️. I've had numerous cookers from top of the line Kamados, drums, multiple Webers, offsets, The Good Ones, etc. I've never been so happy with ONE cooker as I am with my MAK. 40 chicken thighs - no rotating, no flipping, nothing but watching. I've now done pork shoulders, brisket, sausages, ribs, and probably stuff I'm forgetting - it performs great. I actually gave one of my drums away, my Weber gasser away, and am selling another smoker because the MAK checks all boxes. I'm smitten.

I do really like the Mak. It's high on the list. The thing is, the wife is starting to get tired of me changing smokers like underwear. I's rather just suck it up and buy the last one....... for now.

What? Ok - all credibility for anything life related is lost.

Why is that? Because you love a pellet grill and I do not? I have a MAK 2 Star and it is a POS. Thing is always broke down, Auger jammed, flame outs and so on. Thing died on the 8th hour of a butt cook and that has happened more than once. I was mighty proud of it at first, but it is going to Craigslist when I get the time.

I do really like the Mak. It's high on the list. The thing is, the wife is starting to get tired of me changing smokers like underwear. I's rather just suck it up and buy the last one....... for now.

Stop changing your underwear and perhaps your wife will feel differently about your cooker rotation. I have gone through 20+ cookers (easy) in the past 25 or so years... haven’t had an urge in over 4 years now since acquiring my first MAK. I smile every time I fire it up. Living with a houseful of females (wife + lots of daughters), I tell them it’s not only my cooker but my therapist... lol. It’s true ;-)

Back