THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KORND4WG X

is One Chatty Farker
Finally got around to trying a brisket on the PBC. I've done chicken, turkey, ribs and pork butt with great success and was inspired by some recent PBC threads to try brisket, which I usually do on the BGE.

Anyway, I got a 12#packer at cash n carry for about $2.50/#, trimmed it the night before, then seasoned with angus steak seasoning before inserting the hooks as per PBC website. Lit the PBC as usual to about 300deg and hung the meat at 10am. Pretty simple.

The temp settled in around 250-300, probably more on the low end for most of the cook. At 2pm ish I wrapped in butcher paper, bark was nice and meat IT was 163. I also spritzed some beef broth and worcestershire before placing back onto the PBC with grill grates.

After a couple hours the IT hadn't climbed much, I guess it hit the stall and it was my first time with butcher paper, so not sure what to expect. I also couldn't get a sense for how it felt probing through the paper. In any case it finally started climbing and hit 198 at around 5:15. I had to bring it (with leftover ribs, also on PBC:clap2:) to my moms for our family dinner.

All in all it turned out great. The flat that was near the fire was a bit dry but otherwise it was nice and moist throughout with good flavor.

General question: how to keep from drying out after slicing? So moist as I was slicing but after serving up a platter and everyone talking before eating it had dried out quite a bit? Not cooked or rested properly?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 333
Looks very good. Regarding your question about it drying out... did you slice it all at once? Slice it as needed and keep it wrapped between servings if you need to come back to it and slice again.

Looks great Korn. I used to do my briskets on my kamado as well but ever since owning the PBC I prefer it in the drum.

Brisket tends to dry out pretty quick so Billy is spot on. Slice as needed and keep it covered.

I trim very little fat off my PBC cooked briskest until ready to serve, then final trim when ready to pack and seal or store in fridge. Some of the fat will continue to render and aid in moisture retention while resting. I allow for two-three hours rest in a cooler tightly wrapped.
May or may not be necessary but I like the way it turns out.

And Great smoke ring. Curious though was it select or choice ?? I've had really good luck with choice but sometimes my selects get chopped for sandwiches, chiles and stews.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comments fellas. Much appreciated.

ssv and billy: yes I even announced 'sliced to order' but the fam doesn't listen to me much and - like Steven Seagal in Under Seige - 'I'm just the cook' :eek:hwell:

I trim very little fat off my PBC cooked briskest until ready to serve, then final trim when ready to pack and seal or store in fridge. Some of the fat will continue to render and aid in moisture retention while resting. I allow for two-three hours rest in a cooler tightly wrapped.
May or may not be necessary but I like the way it turns out.

And Great smoke ring. Curious though was it select or choice ?? I've had really good luck with choice but sometimes my selects get chopped for sandwiches, chiles and stews.

I did trim quite a bit of fat off this one, and not just off the cap either. I think I will trim less next time.

To be honest I don't know if it was choice or select. Cash n carry has angus and, uhm, non-angus :mmph:

Also, if you get one of those angry cows that refuse to tenderize put it in the oven or large crockpot over night at 215 covered with foil with quartered onion, garlic and a Mexican Pepsi or Coke about two inches. It will be falling apart tender by morning. Mexican sodas use real cane sugar, not HFCS.

Back