THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Hey everyone, hope everyone is having a good week! Picked up a Grobbel's Gourmet Flat Cut Corned Beef Brisket last night decided to make Pastrami.

I used Thirdeye's recipe. It can be found here:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Soaked it in water from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. Changed the water 3 times. Roughly every 1 1/2 hours.
IMG_0843_zpsposr4soy.jpg

Applied the rub after drying the meat off with a paper towel. 3 a.m. Then wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge.
IMG_0844_zps2mb5ryk5.jpg

10 a.m. I pulled the meat and unwrapped it. dusted the light spots with seasoning.

IMG_0845_zps2ybtiksq.jpg

Right now I have the WSM dialed in at 225-250 Will smoke til it hits 150+ then wrap in foil! See you guys when its finished!

Last edited:
Is it done yet?

:becky:

Not sure how long it takes to hit 150. Its only been on for a hour. I'll probe it soon just to see. Don't have a fancy wireless set up!

Update: I just checked It its sitting 125. Good question, should I wrap at 150? Or should I just let it ride uncovered to 190-195? What is the difference?

Not sure how long it takes to hit 150. Its only been on for a hour. I'll probe it soon just to see. Don't have a fancy wireless set up!

Update: I just checked It its sitting 125. Good question, should I wrap at 150? Or should I just let it ride uncovered to 190-195? What is the difference?

I've done pastrami with and without foil and it comes our fine both ways. toss a coin and see what happens :-D

One note... I don't foil that early. For regular briskets I foil based on bark color. For Pastrami I foil at 165. I'm not sure if it matters that much, but that's worked well for me. I cook at 250-275 normally for pastrami if that matters.

Nice Start!

Is there a break down on what "2 teaspoons Canadian/Montreal Steak seasoning" is, or do you actually have to buy that? I like rubs that use scratch material rather than a commercial rub. It defeats the purpose I think.

** never mind, found my answer http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-mccormick-montreal-steak-seasoning-366083

I just buy McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning or the equivalent Canadian Steak Seasoning at Sam's Club. By the time I would buy the components I'd probably spend more money that the original :-D

I've done pastrami with and without foil and it comes our fine both ways. toss a coin and see what happens :-D

One note... I don't foil that early. For regular briskets I foil based on bark color. For Pastrami I foil at 165. I'm not sure if it matters that much, but that's worked well for me. I cook at 250-275 normally for pastrami if that matters.

Thanks Ron. I'll probably let it ride to at least 165 then. I figured 150 was a little to short to have decent bark.

The WSM is holding a steady 250, which is unusual. That thing likes to run 275 no matter what I do! Be back later. The wife requested Cornish hen's so I'm gonna start prepping them.

Update: Sorry I was wrong. The WSM finally crawled towards 275! locked in now! Perfect for the Cornish hens!

Corned beef is at 150 degree's. I just put on the Cornish hens. Rubbed with Oakridge gamebird+Chicken and injected with a few squirts of Tony C's creole butter!
IMG_0848_zpsybhtczgp.jpg

Here we go! Lets start you guys off with a nice picture of the Cornish hens!

IMG_0850_zpsorvvftni.jpg

Gonna let the hens rest for a few minutes. The hens and the Pastrami came off the cooker at the same time! Awesome!!

Here's the pastrami
IMG_0851_zps4jgubbmk.jpg

What should I do with all the juices??! I'll provide slice pictures in the next coming hours. Gonna let it rest for a while

Back