THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I basically got a subscription so I could have all these cool avatars....just kidding!

But seriously, what I have received here in both learning and friendship has been exponentially greater than the modest subscription cost. I've checked out all the other BBQ Forums, and NONE compares to this incredible place.

I could go on and on, but if you are reading this and don't have a subscription, just go ahead and do it- you won't regret it. Plus you get to have cool avatars like I do! :becky:

I'm an accountant by trade and I can't understand why some, in validating the cost of a subscription are trying to figure out the actual cost of running this site. The value one RECEIVES or BENEFITS from using this site is what should be the determining factor(s) of the true market value of a subscription.

Go down to your local bbq restaurant and ask to speak to the manager. When he comes out start asking him how he runs his restaurant, what tips would he give in starting one, then go on to ask him his "secrets" to smoking ribs, brisket, chicken etc. After he gives you the middle finger then pull your wallet out and offer him $25 for the same information. Then after he gives you two middle fingers realize then how valuable the information we get from this site. :thumb:

100% true.. I'm going to subscribe when I get home later today. :-D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm with Moose. I renew for the avatar. I figure it's a public service to everyone else, so they can immediately see what posts to ignore. The other reason is that Bigabyte was offering a coupon for a free Throwdown Disqualification for every subscription renewal.

I'm a subscriber. I think the site is worth more than $25..... but I am a bit naive sometimes and do wonder how much it could possibly cost to run this site, especially with the banner ads. So, I don't think that comment should be summarily dismissed. But, then I think back to my right-wing Adam Smith roots and figure that if people are getting rich off the subscriptions, dam right! More power to them! They should be. It is a fair trade. As long as I get more than just due for my $25, it shouldn't matter what they are getting.

(fairness = path to destruction)

I'm going to get down off my right-wing soap box now before I make an a$$ of myself.

Not intending to be rude by any means but what does knowing how much the cost of running the site or whether someone is making a profit or not really have anything to do with whether or not something is bringing you value?

Does knowing the site costs are $100/month compared to $5,000/month change the value of the information and benefits you receive? I would think the information and benefit you and I receive from the site stays just as valuable to us on an individual basis no matter the cost of running the site.

Again, not to be rude but I just can't understand using the "how much does it really cost to run this site" criteria in determining the value to the end user. IMO, the question should be "Could I get the same quality information, open access and timely response on the open market for less?" in determining if the subcription pricing is "worth it" or not. :thumb:

Bamabuzzard, you know that you and I are in complete agreement, right? You're first post made the same point I was trying to make. anyway...

Everyone else, let's not forget. We love the unsubscribers too.

Last edited:
Bamabuzzard, you know that you and I are in complete agreement, right? You're first post made the same point I was trying to make. anyway...

Everyone else, lets not forget. We love the unsubscribers too.

Yeah, I really was just using yours as a basis for "those in general" who use the mindset we're talking about. I could of done a better job of doing it. Sorry! :thumb:

There should be a subscribers only section. That way we could go there and make fun of the non subscribers. :p

Oh noooo not another subsection.

I do know how much it costs to try and run a website. With the needed equipment, computers, servers, kvn switches, software programs, antivirus, programmers, the building itself, rent, electricity, internet access, and that is just the beginning of everything you need to just get started. with the size of this site I can only imagine what they need in equipment to keep it running like they do, so a mere $25 is a drop in the bucket to the actual operating costs every month, I know that I for one will be subscribing to the site this weekend when I get home to do my little part to help keep this encyclopedic wealth of bbq knowledge up and running.
:thumb:

I'd become a paying member if there were a onetime fee or lifetime membership....but an anual fee just seems too much. There are a BUNCH of members on here and can't see this site costing that much to run.

Don't get me wrong, LOVE the site there are some good cooks here and would like to see this place around for a long time but for average joe like me the cost isn't justified.

If I'm not mistaken KCBS has an annual fee (not the San Francisco radio station), most clubs have an annual fee, NRA has an annual fee, the chamber of commerce has an annual fee, the public library has an annual fee paid with your taxes.

The information and entertainment I get here is worth the subscription.

If you offer Phill $100,000.19 he might give you a lifetime subscription ( add $1.29 for a free egg roll)

I could easily drop $25 in couple hours at a bar. When you factor in the info, recipes, reviews and the fact I met some cool people, it's a steal. :cool:

And most people at a bar don't know squat about BBQ! Trust me, I've tried discussing the subject at bars, and they start talking about lighter fluid and boiling ribs etc.

Back