THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
HEB is having a sale on briskets. 2dollars and something per pound. Going to make a brisket or two this weekend for my tennis team's state championship tournament the first of August. The plan is to cook over night at 250 with post oak and pecan with the help of my digiQ. I will pull when the brisket is just under, around 195 or so with just a bit of grab on the probe. Will cool, vacuum seal and freeze. I will reheat in an oven with a pan with a Texas style sauce thinned with beef broth. Basically sandwich meat but delicious.

Here is the beginning

Oh yeah and a Picanha reverse seared on the Primo Kamado for dinner tonight

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 134
Very nice! Do you feel like you really need a temp controller on that UDS to hold steady temps overnight? Just curious.

Very nice! Do you feel like you really need a temp controller on that UDS to hold steady temps overnight? Just curious.

Strictly speaking, mostly not. I just like the peace of mind on overnight cooks to know the pit master IQ is on the job. And that is how I view things whether I am cooking on my Primo or UDS. Even though these pits are basically user friendly things can happen and I would rather not take chances on a $40 brisket.

Kind of a crazy night. Heavy thunderstorm woke me up at 3:45am. Walked outside to make sure everything was out of the weather and noticed my pit temp had dropped 20 degrees. Brisket holding at 165. Pit bull fan was working overtime. Then 15 minutes power goes out. Opened slider vents full open then temp rises a bit. Now we are at 225. Closed down vents to half and went back to bed. Got up at 5, power still out and temp down to 210. Open vents full open and temp not responding. Builit fire in Primo, locked in at 250, wrapped brisket in butcher paper and moved to the Primo. Fire box from the UDS was choked out with ash and very little unlit charcoal. Using HEB lump and it just wasn't up to the task. Not very dense and burned through too fast. Next overnighter I will only use Wicked Good or B and B. Pulled brisket at 190 and probing nicely. Separated point from flat, vacuum sealed and tossed into freezer. Samples tasted great.

Going to cook another Friday night.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 68
Back