Outdoor Gourmet Triton Vertical Smoker

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
My neighbor started smoking a couple of years ago on a small traditional offset from HD and now wants more capacity. I tried to convince him that a used high quality traditional would be best but his budget isn't a lot and he said he was interested in a vertical type but still wants the offset firebox. He still wants to use wood and has plenty available.
I saw this at Academy but don't know anything about it other than it looks like a typical big box smoker.
Anyone own or have first hand knowledge about it?
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet%E2%84%A2-triton-vertical-charcoal-smoker#repChildCatid=4099191

That reminds me of the el cheapo dyna glo ones I always see for sale.

I know it's about double the price, but an old country smokehouse seems like it would be perfect for him. I'd try and steer him in that direction if you can. Sometimes you have to learn the lesson on your own for it to fully hit home though

The reviews on it are shockingly decent, so give it a go. It's only $300 so you can't really go wrong. Even the poor reviews mention that it worked great for a couple of years until the cook chamber rusted and failed. If he takes care of it and repaints it every so often then it should be a decent cooker. It will also allow him to see whether or not cooking with wood is for him...and at $300 that's a cheap lesson to learn.

The reviews on it are shockingly decent, so give it a go. It's only $300 so you can't really go wrong. Even the poor reviews mention that it worked great for a couple of years until the cook chamber rusted and failed. If he takes care of it and repaints it every so often then it should be a decent cooker. It will also allow him to see whether or not cooking with wood is for him...and at $300 that's a cheap lesson to learn.

Thanks. He's been cooking with wood on the small smoker for several years now and it's actually still in one piece. He said he's just looking for more volume so he can cook more meat and vacuum seal some for later use. That's what I do with my SF although I sometimes find it hard to justify firing it up when I have several cooked pieces in the freezer.
He understands how corrosive ashes are and keeps them cleaned out regularly.
I told him that I couldn't offer any first hand knowledge about this or any other vertical smoker since I've never run one.

I will check @ the local Academy next time I'm there but probably about equal to the Oklahoma Joe line of which I have one of their offsets. I've had My OKJ for 10 yrs and the firebox has just recently started to go bad. Due in part to the wife using and not cleaning it out. Lookin for a cheap piece of 20" sch. 40 now for a new FB. Meat compartment still lookin good.

I will check @ the local Academy next time I'm there but probably about equal to the Oklahoma Joe line of which I have one of their offsets. I've had My OKJ for 10 yrs and the firebox has just recently started to go bad. Due in part to the wife using and not cleaning it out. Lookin for a cheap piece of 20" sch. 40 now for a new FB. Meat compartment still lookin good.

I think one of the reviews said there were no spare parts available. I got into this addiction many years ago with a small big box pit and the firebox cams as a separate accessory. I wonder if another brand firebox might fit well enough to replace yours.

Going vertical sounds good for capacity, but it’s also only 15” around, so you would never be able to cook a full packer or ribs without hanging or cutting. Even for pork butts you are going to be limited to 1 per rack, so 5 total tops.

Feel like I’ve seen them in person at academy and remember the steel being really thin and the door exhibiting quite a bit of flex. Listed weight of only 128 lbs confirms the steel being thin.

For a budget, I would recommend Old Country. I‘ve had my Pecos for around 1-1/2 years and would recommend it to anyone on a budget or wanting to see if stick burning is for them without spending a ton. Currently saving up for an upgrade, but it’s a great cooker for the price. As far as capacity, never tried it, but could easily fit 4 small to medium sizes butts. Could probably get 6 if I added some tuning plates to eliminate the hot spot by the firebox.

Going vertical sounds good for capacity, but it’s also only 15” around, so you would never be able to cook a full packer or ribs without hanging or cutting. Even for pork butts you are going to be limited to 1 per rack, so 5 total tops.

Feel like I’ve seen them in person at academy and remember the steel being really thin and the door exhibiting quite a bit of flex. Listed weight of only 128 lbs confirms the steel being thin.

For a budget, I would recommend Old Country. I‘ve had my Pecos for around 1-1/2 years and would recommend it to anyone on a budget or wanting to see if stick burning is for them without spending a ton. Currently saving up for an upgrade, but it’s a great cooker for the price. As far as capacity, never tried it, but could easily fit 4 small to medium sizes butts. Could probably get 6 if I added some tuning plates to eliminate the hot spot by the firebox.

^^^^ This. I have looked at them at the Academy I frequent. They are extremely thin, and make sure you check out the one you purchase, there were issues with some of the cook chamber doors aligning and being flush. The cooking chamber isn't very big per rack either. Definitely not holding a packer or full rack of ribs, and 1 butt per rack will be max. However, if he is aware of this and wants to give it a go by all means go with it. I would recommend maybe continuing his and seeing if he can save up a little more for an Old Country or Oklahoma Joe or something.

Back