THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of opinions about fries. :shock:

Bottom line is one of the things I take pride in at the restaurant is that everything (sans the brioche bun) is made fresh in-house. So if I were to do fries, they'd have to be fresh cut. While they would be amazing, the kitchen staff is already working overtime just trying to keep up with the sides we do offer. At times there isn't even enough kitchen space during prep as it is. Not to mention, all storage space is at 110% capacity already and we have to resort to storing many items outback in the shed and barn.

Even if I were to resort to pre-made fries, there's another problem. I don't even have a freezer. I had to convert the walk-in freezer to a cooler just to hold all of the meat we need to keep on hand.

Just WAY too many hassles for one single menu change, even if in the end it proved to be a profitable one. And then like a few people already said, once people get their fries I'll be asked about when we're adding onion rings, chicken strips, mozzarella sticks, fried pickles, fried okra, fried fish during lent, etc etc etc.

Maybe if I end up at a bigger location with a properly set up kitchen, but for now and with what I have, it's best to stick to doing a few things extremely well rather than trying to do a lot of things just average for the sake of pleasing a few more people.

I canned several jars and packed them. I'll open one tonight and see how they have done. I am not expecting as crisp a pickle as the refrigerator variety, but when you have a ton of cukes that need processed, you do what you have to.

My 8 month old daughter loves these things btw. :thumb:

As I expected, the flavor is still there, the texture isn't quite as crisp. This is the same thing I've dealt with with all the pickles I've ever made though, and I've been making them for about 12 years now.

I will chime in about the fries. I can respect the decision to add them or not based on business reasons, but the idea that they somehow cheapen the BBQ authenticity is BS in my opinion. First off, a lot of folks bring family and others who don't care about such things (i.e. they are not BBQ snobs) with them to eat. Second, when exactly did the rules of what is or is not a BBQ side get written? I like fries (especially hand cut cooked in peanut oil) a lot more than I like mac and cheese or picnic potato salad. Bring on the fries!

I will chime in about the fries. I can respect the decision to add them or not based on business reasons, but the idea that they somehow cheapen the BBQ authenticity is BS in my opinion. First off, a lot of folks bring family and others who don't care about such things (i.e. they are not BBQ snobs) with them to eat. Second, when exactly did the rules of what is or is not a BBQ side get written? I like fries (especially hand cut cooked in peanut oil) a lot more than I like mac and cheese or picnic potato salad. Bring on the fries!

I don't think it is BBQ snobbery, although tradition does have value to many, but goes back to the history of BBQ. Places that fixed BBQ slow-cooked the tougher pieces of meat to sell them, and, as you probably know, the traditional sides were white bread, a pickle and onion. Places added beans and potato salad because they can be simply made on the stove. Most places did not have a deep fryer, and I suspect most traditional BBQ's, at least in Texas, do not have them today.

I have seen traditional BBQ places offer potato chips to go with the sandwich offerings. I love fries as much as anyone, but I also love chocolate ice cream, but I stick with vanilla when ordering pie a la mode. Some things just seem to go more naturally together in my mind.

With all that said, it is a simple, and sound, business decision made by Jeremy. Fries are a desire of a few, not a demand by most. He will continue to do fine without them You want good BBQ? go to the Prized Pig. Want good fries? Go to McDonalds. Each has something it does well.

Well said. :thumb:

I don't think it is BBQ snobbery, although tradition does have value to many, but goes back to the history of BBQ. Places that fixed BBQ slow-cooked the tougher pieces of meat to sell them, and, as you probably know, the traditional sides were white bread, a pickle and onion. Places added beans and potato salad because they can be simply made on the stove. Most places did not have a deep fryer, and I suspect most traditional BBQ's, at least in Texas, do not have them today.

I have seen traditional BBQ places offer potato chips to go with the sandwich offerings. I love fries as much as anyone, but I also love chocolate ice cream, but I stick with vanilla when ordering pie a la mode. Some things just seem to go more naturally together in my mind.

With all that said, it is a simple, and sound, business decision made by Jeremy. Fries are a desire of a few, not a demand by most. He will continue to do fine without them You want good BBQ? go to the Prized Pig. Want good fries? Go to McDonalds. Each has something it does well.

:mmph::doh::tsk:

Great post otherwise.:mrgreen:

As I said, I agree with him not offering fries based on a business decision. You pretty much made my point about tradition though. We are way past white bread, pickles and onions. We're not debating coleslaw or mac and cheese and he offers both of them. We're not arguing over desserts. Folks are OK with potato salad and beans and because they are convenient you say. Convenient isn't the same as traditional, is it? At some point banana pudding became traditional too. As for places in Texas selling fries and other things, I think you would be surprised by what kinds of sides are available around here. Heck, I just looked at the menu at John Mueller Meat co, and he offers baked squash as a side. For shame! Maybe we should debate whether an enclosed pit is even traditional in Texas BBQ or if open fire is the only acceptable way to prepare meat or whether we should ban pellet poopers completely.

Sorry to derail the thread Jeremy, but like BBQ tradition this thread has a way of going places other than where it started.

As I said, I agree with him not offering fries based on a business decision. You pretty much made my point about tradition though. We are way past white bread, pickles and onions. We're not debating coleslaw or mac and cheese and he offers both of them. We're not arguing over desserts. Folks are OK with potato salad and beans and because they are convenient you say. Convenient isn't the same as traditional, is it? At some point banana pudding became traditional too. As for places in Texas selling fries and other things, I think you would be surprised by what kinds of sides are available around here. Heck, I just looked at the menu at John Mueller Meat co, and he offers baked squash as a side. For shame! Maybe we should debate whether an enclosed pit is even traditional in Texas BBQ or if open fire is the only acceptable way to prepare meat or whether we should ban pellet poopers completely.

Sorry to derail the thread Jeremy, but like BBQ tradition this thread has a way of going places other than where it started.

To be fair, it's really cheese with a little squash mixed in. :wink:

Hey Jermey, just wondering when all your not-so-silent partners are gonna pony up some money to help you create your vast french fry empire.

Back off people. Jermey has been really good to all of us in sharing his life's work with us. If the man does NOT want to make fries, let the man NOT make fries.

(sorry, just had to get that out, I feel much better now)

To be fair, it's really cheese with a little squash mixed in. :wink:

No right or wrong in the discussion, but it is about managing customer expectations. Some of us like to go to small hole-in-the-wall joints with 1950's furniture and decorations, some into brand-new buildings. So long as there is consistency in the offerings along with good quality, the customers will learn the menu, develop favorites, and, while they may prefer another side item, it will not be the decision-maker for them.

It was just interesting for me to hear about a request for french fries since I have not had nor would have conceived of eating fries with BBQ. Like I said, that would be like getting chocolate ice cream with a pie a la mode. But, to each his own. (BTW slidin-billy - I am a 5th generation Texan on the "mission field" in NM to help straighten these folks out. So I grew up eating the BBQ of West Texas. Not a lot of real BBQ joints here, although they are starting to pop-up, but green chile is in abundance!)

Meanwhile, back to the thread:

I'm more of a tater tot guy - especially if they're homemade. I make a tater tot brisket casserole that is basically tater tots, brisket, bbq sauce and cheese (sometimes green chiles), which I like.

Sounds like this is really a non-issue. I don't think it has anything to do with whether something is or isn't a "traditional" BBQ side (Arthur Bryant's has great fries by the way). Jeremy has his business model -focus on quality and make it as homemade as possible. Right now a fryer and fries doesn't fit in that model. Case closed. When he no longer runs out of food and doesn't have people lining up to pay him money because he doesn't offer fries or chips or a certain type of beans, then maybe it's time to reconsider things. Until then, he's enormously successful because of the way he's doing things. Keep on keepin on.

I'm really enjoying reading about this success and I hope to find my way up that direction someday soon (maybe sooner if you add homemade tater tots to the menu -- just kidding).

When eating out and the menu says "served with chips or Fries" What do you order ? i don't think i ever said chips.
almost always order chips----unless the fries are crispy homemade--otherwise they are just another over priced Sysco product!! And usually the chips are free too<sf>

My goodness, I love me so good hand cut fries. Especially with a burger. But would never think twice if a BBQ place didn't have them. Beans on the other hand are expected, and should certainly not taste like they were poured from a Bush's Best can. (I like them at home, but they aren't bbq beans). Love them when they are just tender and not mushy, lots of barbeque flavor and meat trimming running through out. MMM.

I can live without fries...used to love them until diabetes showed it's ugly head. Like most said...do what you do well. Can't wait to get up there and sample the fixins!

Back