THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
What would any of you recommend for a meat slicer? slicing bacon etc??? I don't need the best but something that will cut with ease.

I recently got a Chef's Choice 615 meat slicer for around $140 off of Amazon. It's okay, it works, but annoying sometimes. Personally I think it's worth no more than $100. I really want a Globe or Hobart meat slicer--waiting until I run across one on craigslist for cheap.

I had one from Nesco... The same people who make the dehydrator I use for jerky and such. It was about 130ish. Junk.

I too would recommend waiting until you can afford a decent one. I'd put the base at $250. If you aren't gong to be slicing a bunch of meat a decent set of knives or one real good knife will probably serve you better.

JMHO

VR,
Harold

I recently got a Chef's Choice 615 meat slicer for around $140 off of Amazon. It's okay, it works, but annoying sometimes. Personally I think it's worth no more than $100. I really want a Globe or Hobart meat slicer--waiting until I run across one on craigslist for cheap.

I bought the same one a month ago. It's decent, I sliced up roast beef, turkey, ham, did a good enough job, but like bbqgeekess said it ain't a globe or Hobart, it also ain't $600 either. For around the house, I'm happy with it.

Things to consider when pricing a slicer are the size of the blade and the size of the motor. Both will impact the price of the unit along with the overall construction and materials.

We had a chain of convenience stores that decided to go with pre-sliced lunch meats. This flooded the market and 1500.00 machines were selling as low as $400.00.

What would any of you recommend for a meat slicer? slicing bacon etc??? I don't need the best but something that will cut with ease.

Type in "slicer" on the search line on Craigslist for Des Moines. It may take a while, but you should find something you can use. I found my 12" Globe on there for $125.

I have a Chef's Choice 632 and use it to make thick slices of bacon > super thin slices of beef for beef dip. Most useful piece of advise i can give you is to slice meat cold right out of the fridge, not warm or room temp.

:-D
[SIZE=+0]
Img618.jpg

:yo:
[/SIZE]

Back