THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let me know how that turns out. Better yet, post some pictures and tell me how it turned out. I've been wanting to try to smoke some quarters. I just have to find a dumb enough deer to let me stick it! lol Looking forward to hearing how they turn out!! I had the same idea as you: bacon wrapped.

Will do...just got the smoker fired up to do a brisket! 25 degrees! But still lovin it!

Chicken looks good. Switch to all Wood and never look back. I use a Chimney full of lump and 2 splits to start out then feed 1 preheated split when ever my temp drops by 25 deg YMMV.

Same here.
I do a Chimney full of Royal Oak Lump, and dump it in my fire box with a couple of splits of Pecan or Oak. After it ignites the wood, I feed it wood as needed.

I did see the bag of hickory at Menards and had it in my hand, then changed my mind for the simply fact that I didn't know how much it was and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for it lol. Our Menards is a joke. I went in one time for a timer for our attic fan and they sent me to every corner of the store looking for it, one corner twice, and the last corner was by the door so I just left.
I can't believe wood is that high up there. Ohio isn't too far from where I am... Maybe I should load up a few cords on a trailer and bring up for sale???? My dad has roughly 40 acres of woods, however everything would be green so I am going to have to buy some and will for sure check into the menards bag. Thanks for the reply!

One of the BBQ tools that pays for itself is a quality Chainsaw.
In North Alabama we are blessed with lots of Hickory, Oak, and Pecans.
We also have enough bad weather that there are lots of large limbs or downed trees, that I can be a good Samaritan and remove for friends.
I keep a stack of each, and even a stack of pine and other non smoking wood for my patio fire-pit... OR to take camping. Campgrounds sell mixed junk wood for about $4-5 for a very small bundle of wood.

Thanks Old Man Dan... Luckily I still have my Stihl saw. We burned wood at our last house and this one before we switched to a pellet stove. I have learned from experience that when it comes to saws, you get what you pay for. I don't remember what mine cost, MS250, but my wife was not happy when I got home with it lol. We are like you and very fortunate to have a larget selection of woods to choose from.

Back