THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

vinoaddict

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I currently use a WSM. Works nice, but thinking to purchase an offset smoker (on $500 budget). Curious if anyone knows the difference between the Oklahoma Joe's Highland and Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn smokers? Both are made by Charbroil. The Highland model is about $200 cheaper than the Longhorn. Otherwise they look the same to me.

Any reason for the price difference?
How do they smoke?
Any better alternatives?

Thanks

The Longhorn is a bigger smoker than the Highland (the reason for the price difference). I bought my Longhorn a little over a month ago then 2 weeks later the same store had the Highland. I think if they had both been available at the same time I would have gotten the Highland because it's not as big as the Longhorn. This was my first offset purchase and I think having the smaller smoker would make it easier to maintain heat but I could be wrong though since I'm a newbie.

Mine works fairly well but mine has leaks around the smoke box, cooking chamber and exhaust. I knew this ahead of time so I'm working on addressing these issues. I can also tell you that out of the box, all my heat goes to the top of the cooking chamber, there is a 90 degree temp deference from the top thermo reading and grate level on mine. I have ordered the Horizon Convection plate to hopefully address this as well.

Good Luck

I will be picking up a Longhorn next week. I have done some fairly extensive homework on it, and am confident this is going to meet my needs for now. If you have a choice between the Highland and the Longhorn, I would go with the bigger one. It's better to have space you don't need, than to need space you don't have! :-D

The highland is just a little smaller. Save yourself the extra cash the 180 more square inches just doesn't justify the $200 difference. Use the extra cash to make the necessary mod's and you'll have a good smoker.

Back