THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bill Bryant
When my Workhorse 1969 arrives later this year, I have more than one location option. One option places the smokestack far from the house or eaves of a covered patio. The other option places the stack quite close to the covered patio eaves. A question for those of you with lots of offset experience. How close can a smokestack be to a structure without staining the structure with soot and grease?

I never worried too much. I just found a way to mount or point a very small fan so that it would blow the exhaust away from the structure. Just make sure it doesn't blow so hard that it affects the draw.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

When my Workhorse 1969 arrives later this year, I have more than one location option. One option places the smokestack far from the house or eaves of a covered patio. The other option places the stack quite close to the covered patio eaves. A question for those of you with lots of offset experience. How close can a smokestack be to a structure without staining the structure with soot and grease?

Directly under will stain. Slightly out from under is fine depending on typical wind direction. I had my cooker on patio within 2’ of house and stack roughly 3’ away from overhang and all was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You pros probably have nothing to worry about. For y’all, nothing but perfect wisps of blue smoke have ever come out of your smokestacks. On the other hand, for me, I can guarantee you that there will be stuff billowing out that you don’t want near your house paint! Ha! I guess I’ll just have to figure it out by trial and error. Probably mainly error.

You pros probably have nothing to worry about. For y’all, nothing but perfect wisps of blue smoke have ever come out of your smokestacks. On the other hand, for me, I can guarantee you that there will be stuff billowing out that you don’t want near your house paint! Ha! I guess I’ll just have to figure it out by trial and error. Probably mainly error.

You may have "dirty smoke" coming out of your smoke stack but not soot and grease. The only way I could imagine grease would l be if you were to crank up your offset and grill a bunch of burgers or something. But offsets are usually used for smoking not grilling. If you are worried about staining your house then I would suggest you place it where the exhaust from the smoke stack will not linger under your patio roof. I live in the country so my offset resides in various locations around my backyard. One of my pellet grills however lives on my covered back porch and staining has not been an issue in over 3 years of living here.

Last edited:
You may have "dirty smoke" coming out of your smoke stack but not soot and grease. The only way I could imagine grease would l d be if you were to crank up your offset and grill a bunch of burgers or something. But offsets are usually used for smoking not grilling.
My offset will also have a “cowboy” firebox where I will reverse sear steaks, grill burgers, and so on. So some of the grease coming off of those cooks is likely to end up heading out of the smokestack. Or at least that’s the way it seems to me.

I regularly cook burgers and steaks on my pellet grill on my back porch and have not have any issues. Grant it I do have an outdoor ceiling fan.

I've run two different commercial smokers in close proximity to walls/eaves, but not my offset. The further away the better. My SRG-400 was under a 10' X 20' temporary car port, similar to this one, for a few months.

https://culturetopic7.pythonanywhere.com/costco-10x20-steel-frame-canopy.html

With the roof and none of the walls installed, and the "smokestack" at the edge of one end, I could see discoloration after about a month of running 6 days a week. I'm guessing there was about 3-3.5' of clearance under the roof. The discoloration was a bit sticky too.

My offset (Johnson Smokers) is 99.9% thin, blue smoke, but I once didn't pull it far enough out of my garage and the exhaust stack discolored the paint near the gutters of my garage. Now I've got a spot marked off on my driveway so I know how far I need to move my smoker to clear the overhead / gutters.

You'll get discoloring, you will probably also get a smoky smell in the area of the house that overhangs the smoker. depending on how your roof vents are situated.

Back